Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only during thunderstorms or blackouts

• re-wha-?

• Total voters

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
For my work workstation, I shut if off when I go home. I'm not counting doing a power-down reboot right around lunchtime if I've been pounding the CAD hard; the system gets too sluggish otherwise.

For my home workstation, I shut it off when I'm done for the evening/day. I don't use it very much, so it doesn't make sense to leave it on the whole day if I turn it on in the morning.

For my laptop, I use Hibernate.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'd have to say I'm somewhere between "Once a week whether I need to or not" and "re-wha-?"

I have some machines that I never reboot purposely... usually a thunderstorm or my bungling will cause the power to momentarily drop and the machines will reboot... I'm having a hard time getting past 3 months...

My main PC is typically rebooted once every week or two, however that is usually because I'm rebooting after a driver upgrade or other silly thing. For the past couple weeks I've actually been turning it off at night because of the 800JB whine, but that shall soon be fixed.

SteveC

Storage is cool
For my main system, I reboot for service packs, hardware upgrades, and thunderstorms. My other one is a dual boot with Linux and Windows, so it gets rebooted quite often.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Just for comparison, when I *moved* I left one of my machines up.

Of course, I only had to go about 500 feet with it and its UPS, but it's an impressive feat nonetheless.

honold will be by shortly to tell us all that uptime means poor security, I'm sure.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
...re....re....reb....nah, I give up, I can't even pronounce that thing, let alone DO it.

Okay, seriously, I reboot maybe once a month when I switch over from linux to xp to play some games. I've only got my main computer and a file server at home right now....

Handruin

Administrator
I chose "For service packs or kernel upgrades"...and one other reason not listed...sound crackle. After a week of uptime my sound card will eventually begin to crackle and it drives me crazy...so I reboot.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Awright, maybe I'm the only one here that powers his PC down when done for the day. Have to give some rest to those little bits that have been running around all day, you know.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Main home system: 3-10 times per day (average ~ 6 times/day)
Personal notebook: 0.15 - 20 times/day depending on home or travel use
Work: End of the day (power off)

Mickey

Handruin said:
:?: You don't let it fold all night long :excl:

:D

Nope. With the rolling blackouts of months past, work pretty much required we shut down our systems at night (along with working with dimmer lights during the day). *grumbles* My cube is too far from any windows to get natural light, so it *really* got a bit dim some days. My home electricity bill made me revert to using my laptop most of the time; I even got a LCD for my workstation.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
OS/2 systems: mostly only for upgrades or power failures. Once every few months I do something stupid and if it seems a bit weird I reboot anyway.

Windows 2000 system: ditto, only it needs rebooting a little more often, once every few weeks, maybe.

Windows NT 4.0 system: about the same as the OS/2 boxes, a little less often than the W2K box, though I think this is largely because it doesn't really do anything much: the other three above all work a lot harder. Be interesting to see how the NT box would stand up if I used it more. (Come to think of it, I used to have NT on this 2000 box: I remember being pleased that W2K didn't need so many reboots.)

Linux system: just a Smoothie. Gets rebooted once or twice a week whenever I am having internet problems. Probably nothing whatever to do with the Smoothie, just paranoia. I usually discover that my cable provider has stuffed things up same as usual, or else I've unplugged various network cables to do some little job and forgotten to plug them all back in again, or something equally stupid.

W98SE system: usually only fired up to do some particular job or other, then shut down or dual booted back to OS/2. Sometimes runs for a few days at a time, mostly I switch it off. Sometimes I don't need it for a week or two and it gathers dust.

DOS 6.3 system: whenever. It's mega-stable - more stable than the OS/2 or W2K boxes I sometimes think. Probably not really, but it gets switched off some nights, left on others. I guess it stays up for a few weeks at a time, maybe a month, now and then.

Protein system: shutdown and reboot at least once a day, usually around 10:00AM. Crashes often. Reboots itself from time to time, usually in the middle of conversations. Probably needs a hardware upgrade. Never yet had a BSOD on it (Blue Screen of Death), but sometimes it has a RFOR (Red Film of Rage).

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I think everyone here knows I'm still running Win98SE. That usually means daily reboots, sometimes precautionary, sometimes involutary. My Linux box was actually up a full week before I had to reboot into Win98 to run some taxicam repair software. I've also had Win98SE running on that machine for a solid week, but being that I only run a few programs, and can't use it for browsing, I don't think it should count. Besides, it's actually Win98SE Lite, with all the extraneous browser crap removed. It should be more stable.

In any case, a week is plenty for me. I usually turn my machines off at least that often on the theory that if I know I won't be using it for more than 12 hours the wear on the hard disks will be more than a restart. Once solid state disks are in common use I'll probably run any machines with them 24/7, and just turn off the monitor when I'm not using it.

My protein system usually requires daily reboots, though it has gone as long as 4 days without one. The operation at that stage started getting erratic, and included false sensory inputs as well as many CPU and memory errors.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mickey said:
Nope. With the rolling blackouts of months past, work pretty much required we shut down our systems at night (along with working with dimmer lights during the day). *grumbles*

I've always been a bit puzzled as to what those rolling blackouts actually accomplish as far as saving energy. Shutting everything down in only one small area every few weeks seems to me like it would save at most a fraction of a percent, and cause great inconvenience as well. Wouldn't simple mandating certain energy conservation measures by law make more sense. I can think of a couple right off: 1)Prohibit the sale of regular light bulbs 2)Require businesses to turn out lights at night(many don't) 3)Replace traffic light bulbs with LEDs 4)Ration gas and/or use financial incentives to encourage use of public transit 5)Actively encourage telecommuting, prehaps even require it for jobs that involve just sitting at a computer terminal 6)Discourage unnecessary business travel of the drink, handshake, mistress variety. I think that's enough to make my point. Rolling blackouts are a really bad idea.

BTW, almost everyone I know turns all the machines in their office or other business off at night for fire safety reasons. In fact, I do likewise when I know nobody will be home. While instances of electronics failing and starting fires are rare, they do occur, and there's no sense leaving a machine on consuming energy and vulnerable to power surges for the 12 to 16 hours a day that most business machines are unused.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I have to turn of the dual athlon when I go to bed, the noise of the dual Delta 7000 rpms will not permit rest. The laptop I sometimes leave on as the noise is not disturbing.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Home W2K & wife's W98 box: As needed after updates or if either becomes unstable. I'll also shut them down if we're going out of town for more than a day. Mostly they're up 24x7 Folding and are rebooted maybe once a month. 98 on a KT133 is perfectly stable believe it or not.

Work XP Pro laptop: I take it home every night. I've opted to reboot vs. hibernate as it manages the change from work to home / wired to wireless better that way. It also Folds whenever not in transit; maybe 22x7 on average.

Servers at work: As needed after updates or when doing MS' version of troubleshooting: reboot & see if that fixes it. It frequent does temporarily solve the problem, but I cannot call that a 'fix'.

OS/400 servers: Production box: Weekly out of habit; will likely migrate to monthly shortly. Development box: For updates as necessary; maybe two to four times a year.

The OS/390 mainframe at a former employer was rebooted every Christmas. Only then. Most hardware and all OS upgrades did not necessitate a reboot.

- Fushigi

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Fushigi said:
The OS/390 mainframe was rebooted every Christmas. Only then.

Can I have one of thoze pleaze? Iz it pop-up free? Iz it fazzter than an Athlon? I zeem to have a lot of pop-upz right at the moment, dunno Y & my keybbbbboard iiiiz zzztartiiiing to aakt wireird. I zink I kneed a knew komputer.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Tea said:
Can I have one of thoze pleaze? Iz it pop-up free? Iz it fazzter than an Athlon? I zeem to have a lot of pop-upz right at the moment, dunno Y & my keybbbbboard iiiiz zzztartiiiing to aakt wireird. I zink I kneed a knew komputer.
1. If you have a lot of money, yes. Talk to your local IBM rep for details.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

It is quite the platform for Linux, BTW.

And OS upgrades were performed roughly as follows:
1. Create a new partition or select an existing non-primary partition.
2. Upgrade it to the new release.
3. Do your app/functional testing.
4. Make the new partition your main partition.
5. Upgrade or delete the old partition as desired.

- Fushigi

Mickey

jtr1962 said:
I've always been a bit puzzled as to what those rolling blackouts actually accomplish as far as saving energy. Shutting everything down in only one small area every few weeks seems to me like it would save at most a fraction of a percent, and cause great inconvenience as well.
The rolling blackouts weren't a way to regularly reduce energy consumption. The thinking is if usage is likely to exceed what the grid can safely handle, it's either have rolling blackouts to keep it within a margin of safety, or have a catastrophic grid failure (it's happened before and it ends up taking much longer to get everyone hooked up to the grid again).

At least with rolling blackouts there was *some* warning. I'd prefer that to what we had a few years ago when we were out for days. The office was dark during the last rolling blackout and we ended up goofing off in the hallways. There was emergency power for the coffee machine at least. :roll:

Jan Kivar

The only times I restart my computer is to install/remove the backup drive (where are you, SATA?). When I go to sleep, I use Suspend-To-RAM...

What should I vote then?

Jan

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ahh, you just have the wrong zort of computer, ZX. You want one of thoze pop-up proof IBM ones that Fushigi was talking about. I hear tell that those OS/390 thingz, or at least zome of their relatives, can be moved and uppgraded rather more flexibly than these Windows box thingz you and I are stuck with.

Apparently, they have incredible hot-swap capabilities and there have been times - no joke - when a company has moved to a new building on the other side of town without switching the mainframe off! They just remove some of the multiple redundant components, one at a time while the machine is still running, truck them across town and start assembling them again at the new site (which is networked to the old site, of course). They switch the power on at the new site and just keep going back to get another truckload of bitz until there is no more left to move without ever switching the mainframe off!

iGary

I never turn computers off, NOT EVEN WHEN I'M REPLACING THE MICROPROCESSOR OR THE POWER SUPPLY.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
If one never turns on ones computer, then one never has to turn it off. Purpose = Big expensive door stop. Often done with 486's and older machines.

When I got my father a then current state-of-the-art machine, Compaq deskpro (8086) for well over $5000. The first thing he asked me was what did he need to know and I handed him the manuel to MS-DOS 2.11 and told him to read it. He took a stab at reading it and came back to me a couple days later saying that They didn't use English in writing the manuel (It looked like english, but it obviously wasn't because they didn't know the meanings of words like parameter) he didn't want it any more, was going to write-off the entire purchase and use it as a door-stop.

iGary

I never turn computers off, NOT EVEN WHEN I'M REPLACING THE MICROPROCESSOR OR THE POWER SUPPLY. Instead, I pull the electrical power cord from the unit because it's much safer.

P5-133XL said:
...The first thing he asked me was what did he need to know and I handed him the manuel to MS-DOS 2.11 and told him to read it.
Those normally came with CompaqDOS.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Yes, technically the machine came with CompaqDos: It was simply a rebadged version of MS-Dos 2.11 with minor differences to compensate for the fact that it was an "IBM compatible" machine and a nice grey imitation leather bound manuel.