I started running again

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the kind words. I don't know how much fun it will be though. I'm heading out now. See everyone in December.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Guess I missed ya. Well, hope you have a good time. I imagine you will.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If you noticed that I am around again, it's because I am. Decided that the Marine Corps wasn't really what I wanted. I exercised my right to drop on request on Monday and here I am back at home.

Found out lots of things about myself, one of them being that I need more freedom than what is offered in the Marine Corps. Also found that I don't excel at the Marine Corps version of leadership.

I really didn't like how narrow minded and hardcore everyone there was. I heard things like: if John Kerry is elected then I don't want to be a Marine anymore; the Marine Corps has never lost a battle, etc. Just pure stupidity as far as I'm concerned.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My father strained at the same thing as a Naval Officer, timwhit. There is no shame in finding that you have a different vision for yourself than the one offered by the military.

There are other ways to serve one's country and there are other ways to serve the world. At this point I think this country needs fewer fighters and more thinkers anyway.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Putting aside the narrowmindedness for a moment, regimentation is what the military is all about. Either you don't mind it, or you do. Most intelligent people do not like to have every minute of every day planned the way the military does. I might be able to deal with the physical rigors of being in the military, but there's no way I could handle the regimentation. I didn't even much care for the regimentation of school or a 9 to 5 job.

It's probably for the better that you dropped out. Many other ways to serve your country. Just being a good citizen is service of sorts.

Handruin

Administrator
Even if you technically call it dropping out, I commend you for at least giving it a try. That's more than I'm willing to do. Welcome back. Bartender grab this man a drink. ;)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow I missed the part where you got accepted. Congrats, and no worries about "dropping out". It's not for everyone. Dinks all round *extra for me*

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well Tim, I believe that you will be able to look back at this as a positive learning experience. First off, the the old adage "nothing ventured, nothing gained" comes to mind. And although you might not have come out of it with what you initially expected, there is no denying that you ventured and it certainly sounds like you have gained something special from your experience (i.e. some personal insight/self-awareness...mighty powerful knowledge, so use it wisely). The other point is that because you took the venture/risk, you won't have any agonizing regrets anywhere down the road (i.e. "what if I had done this or that" or "I should of done that when I was ...). No sir, you got this over and done with. And as an additional bonus, as you discovered it displeased you, you nipped it in the bud before it became a seriously negative venture...thus eliminating any present day regrets/anxiety. Well done, and welcome back.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You're back!

The attitudes you describe are what would explicitly exclude someone from many elite military corps around the world, such as the SAS.

You've just found out for yourself that the US Marine Corp is, like many things today, more hype than substance. Make that your life lesson and move on to make a difference in the world.

Cheers,

David

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
timwhit said:
...I really didn't like how narrow minded and hardcore everyone there was...
That's the difference between a Marine Corps with volunteers instead of a Marine Corps made up of a mix of volunteers and conscripts; a better cross-section of society.

If you are still interested in pursuing this military service thing -- given the background information from above -- you would've been far better off joining the Navy.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Thanks Doug. :cool:

Modified my diet to high protein, low fat, low sugar.

Ran on my precor elliptical machine almost every day...An hour after work on workdays and between 1.5 and 2 hours per day on my days off.

Now I can fit into my suit again, which I'll need for my sister's wedding this coming week.

Handruin

Administrator
mubs said:
Super, Groltz! Wish I could do that!

I never thought I could either and I was able to do it...be it not quite as fast as Groltz. I found the thing which burned the most calories for me was walking up an incline for about 30 minutes. If you can keep your heart rate up for that time and be consistent, you can see results in a few weeks.

Have fun at the wedding Groltz! My goal was the same but the wedding wasn't until this September!