IBM 9517 Monitors from PS/2s

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I just freely acquired some old PS/2 machines and IBM 9517-001 (supposedly XGA) monitors. Unfortunately, these monitors ONLY work with the PS/2 machines. On any other computers (DOS/Windows/Linux/PCs in general) it just jumps and flickers insanely.

Is there something I should know? A "normal" monitor works fine on the PS/2 machines, which makes it seem odd that these monitors are incompatible.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
What you have is a "Fixed mode" monitor. Modern monitors (Multi-mode or MultiSync) allow for multiple horizontal and vertical frequencies: That's why you can change from 640x480 to 1024x768 ... A fixed mode monitor only operates at specific horizontal and vertical frequencys. To operate a fixed mode monitor, one needs a video card that has its BIOS locked on just the frequency of that specific monitor.

Just to clarify, some fixed mode monitors will actually operate at several different resolutions. However, to get those resolutions, the video card still has to output at very specific frequencies. A little off and it won't be able to sync.

If you look at the specifications of a modern monitor it will say something like Horizontal frequeny 30-100KHz, and a vertical Frequency of 50-120Hz. While A fixed frequency monitor will be 640x480: horizontal 30.2KHz, Vertical 60Hz; 1024x768: Horizontal 60.4KHz and Vertical 60.2Hz

The reason modern multi mode monitors work on the PS/2 is because they are flexible in the frequency's they receive. So they can adapt to the specific frequencies that the PS/2 is supplying.

So, basicly you can't use the monitors in a Windows application without buying a speciality video card programed for that specific monitor. However, If I remember correctly, some multiSync video cards running in Linux allow driver modification to force the video card into fixed mode (You would have to modify a text file supplying the frequencies).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My training company is trying to find homes for around a dozen 17" CRTs. The displays are five years old or so, but even at that, we can't find any takers. Surely there's some low-cost source for better displays in your area.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
My training company is trying to find homes for around a dozen 17" CRTs. The displays are five years old or so, but even at that, we can't find any takers. Surely there's some low-cost source for better displays in your area.

There are two stores (O's and Wintergreen) where I can buy them used (25-50 dollars I think), but other than that I don't know. I'm always on the lookout for freebies, of course. That's why I ended up with these.