I'd like to have Virtual HDD LEDs

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The kind that sit in your system tray and turn on when your HDDs are accessed.

This would really help because 1) I can't see my system in my normal work position; 2) I run a Promise Ultra 100 to which my two drives are connected. The Promise has two LED connectors, one for each channel.

The only proggy I've found, DiskTemp or a similar sounding name, does not work reliably for the purpose.

Many thanks!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, Clocker, DriveLED is COOL! LEDs for my gazillion logical drives re displayed now. Funny thing is, from the noises I hear I could swear my WD800JB was doing something, but the LEDs don't light up. They do of course when I copy a file or defrag.

Thanks!

PS: I'm Herr John Doe, email 'jdoe@anyisp.com'. Couldn't understand the text for some of the fields, though.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
Once you start using this Virtual Hard Drive LED utility, you need to check it out thoroughly to see if it places undue overhead on the system.

I only mention this because many a moon ago I used to use a virtual hard drive LED utility on a Macintosh Plus. I quickly found that this utility noticeably slowed speed because it required system interrupts to flash the virtual LEDs every time the hard drive would read or write. I tried 3 different such utilities and the result was always the same -- a slowdown. There was a significant price to pay for Apple's cheapness in not including hard drive activity LEDs on the Mac Plus.

Maybe such a utility on the vastly faster hardware of these times won't make a noticeable dent in overall performance.

Handruin

Administrator
Would it be as simple as running before and after benchmarks on the same drive(s)? I'll try it out tomorrow night when I have a chance.

Thanks for the warning.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
afaik winNT includes system monitoring already through perfmon.... most of these type of utilities (system monitors)use this built in tool. It was designed to have as little impact on the system as possible and from what I can tell, I believe it accomplishes this well.