"Ignore" function - Poll

Should this forum get an Ignore function?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't care

• Total voters

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Remember that you don't have to use this function, but it will be there if anyone feels the need to use it.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I decided to vote yes. I probably will never use it. But we can't afford to lose any more valuable members here. Those who don't feel that we need this feature... well you can just "ignore" it... yuk.. yuk.. :)

Individuals have a right I think to censor for themselves whatever they choose to.

We should accomodate our members whenever possible if we wish to keep them coming back for more.

Handruin

Administrator
How do the "I don't care" votes get tallied? They are nor for or against... I assume they aren't counted.

Once concern I have is that this "ignore" modification is relatively new to phpbb. (judging by the creation date) I'm slightly concerned at implementing it into the board until it has had some of the bugs worked out of it. Read the phpbb thread and you'll see what I mean in regards to anonymous usesrs ignoring everyone...causes problems for the forum.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
How do the "I don't care" votes get tallied? They are nor for or against... I assume they aren't counted.

Once concern I have is that this "ignore" modification is relatively new to phpbb. (judging by the creation date) I'm slightly concerned at implementing it into the board until it has had some of the bugs worked out of it. Read the phpbb thread and you'll see what I mean in regards to anonymous usesrs ignoring everyone...causes problems for the forum.

I would assume that the "I don't care" votes are just to get a measure of things and don't count in the final tally.

Obviously if you don't think the software is ready to use, then we will wait until it has the bugs worked out of it.

Why have so few people voted? I know there are more than ten real people that frequent this site.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I was out xmas shopping last night. Very uninspired by pretty much everything at the mall. I can always find things for my wife but I have great difficulty finding things to put on my wish list. At least things that are affordable. We also do a pull-a-name-from-the-hat with her family and I drew here sister, whom I don't know very well. Can anyone say 'Amex gift card'?

I hit SF when I can. I try for 2-4 times a day but there's no guarantees. Sometimes a lot more; sometimes I'll skip a day or so. Just depends on what's going on.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I just voted "yes" but I almost voted "I don't care". Count my "yes" as a half a vote - this question is no big deal.

Would I use this function if it was there? ..... Yeah, I guess I might, but only for one persistent blatherer, and the built-in ignore function in my brain works reasonably well anyway.

Also, it depends on the amount of coding required: if it's easy, sure. If it's hard, Doug has more important things to do.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Buck told me not to vote, so I'll just comment: The function would be neat, but as Tannin expressed, and untested feature would be risky. If the poll is in favor of the feature, let's make sure that it is implemented when the item works correctly.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
So the consenus that I see here is if the Poll is in favor of implementing the feature, then we will leave it up to Handruin to decide if the code is stable enough to be used on this board. Right?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There are 256 registered members and we got 16 votes. That's 6.25% turnout.

I realise that about 200 of those registered didn't come back after so doing, but I didn't realise that we had so few regulars....

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
There are also a lot of people missing at the moment: James, Groltz, Clocker, Time, Jake the Dog, The JoJo, etc. Plus the people that will most likely never come back: Prof, honold, etc.

When I looked through the member list I only counted about 25 regulars that have actually posted in the last month or so, which makes 16 votes more than half of all regulars.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Perhaps one of my other personalities will subdivide.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
LunarMist said:
I would vote if I could figure out to do it. :(

Don't you see option buttons and then a button to vote? If not make sure you are logged in. Otherwise it should work and there is no time limit on this poll or any kind of restrictions.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
If anyone wants me to, I'm sure I could persuade some friends of mine to vote. Ekaf Ami, The Grammar Police, Ed and Dave ... hell, if you lend me a couple of dollars for the phone call, I'll give Tea a ring in Queensland and get her to vote too.

Uh, which way do you want them to vote? -- "yes" or "no"?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I can get some of my friends to vote, and maybe we can persuade Gary's group to vote, but I don't think that would be fair.

Handruin

Administrator
Can we wait until the end of February to see if the mod gets approved by phpbb mod team. They have made numerous changes and it seems as though the ignore feature is maturing. At the end of this month I will install this mod even if it isn't approved, but I'd like to wait just a little longer to see if any other issues come about.