• Keep the current header

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
The bottom one is freakin' cool. ;)
Wow! The bottom one rules! :)

Here comes again the discussion of the other day. You don't have to renounce one of the two (or more!) designs. Just alternate them every month or two... Leave, of course, the buttons ("keys") alone...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Euuuuch!

It's bad enough having to look at Bill Gates' pig-ugly mug every time Mercutio posts, but surely we don't have to look at that bloody windows word every time we see the forum logo. No! No! No! Anything but that.

Seriously, I really do find the gratuitous use of that "W" word offensive.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You guys will have to excuse Tannin. The poor old fella gets a bit emotional at times. (Don't tell him I said so, but he's past it.)

What he should have said, had he been thinking with his brain instead of his digestive system -

(Hey! How can I not think with my digestive system when Buck goes and makes me barf all over the keyboard?)

(Shutup Tannin! This is my post.)

(But -)

(Look, I agree, the text is barf material, OK? Just go and make up a cup of tea or something, and let me deal with this.)

Now, as I was saying, or as I was about to say before Tannin interupted, the idea of the green text logo is good, it just needs to be thought all the way through. The old green text mode background is a winner, Buck, but you need to get your eras straight. Green screens were in from the early 1980s through to about 1985 or so. Before that it was white on black, from about '84 or '85 amber came into fashion, and in the last dying days of the mono screen, that ugly and hard on the eyes colour called "paper white" came into vogue. Whichever way you look at it, the green screen era ended in the Eighties, or 1990 at the latest.

(Will you stop waffling and say something to make them change their minds, for god's sake?)

(Tannin, just wait!)

And at the time in question, gentlemen, no-one had a Windows directory. DOS ruled. So the correct text to use in that very spiffy looking logo background of yours, Buck, is this:

c:\> attrib *.* -r -h -s -h
c:\> del *.*
deleting...
c:\command.com
c:\ibmio.com
c:\ibmdos.sys

That's from memory. I'll check and get back to you with the exact filenames. Notice that this not only avoids offending people with delicate digestions, it also is readily understandable even to youngsters who have never known anything else except Windows (poor creatures), because the Windows files have the same names. (More or less.)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I would prefer to stick with green text, as it interferes less with the entire design. The amber color reminds me of ArsTechnica, so I’ll pass on that. White would distract from our name. The syntax used was a release for my contempt towards Windows. It was more of a DOS vs Windows battle, and DOS had the upper hand. I could somehow picture CNN Sports doing a play-by-play broadcast of this fight, and the first blow thrown by DOS was below the belt, as a DELETE in the Windows directory would take out RUNDLL.EXE and RUNDLL32.EXE. For the knockout, we’d CD\ SYSTEM and run DELETE *.DLL. Obviously, the chronology is inaccurate, and my message was misinterpreted.

BR

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Nice to see that you maintained the proper sequence of attrib options as well (-r -a -s -h).

Rather than Windows - so as not to show a bias, why not something simpler, like the output from running an old-fashioned
config.sys or autoexec.bat?

Or we could go all the way

c:\windows\attrib -r -a -s -h .
del *.da?
del .
cd system
del .
cd ../inf
del .

etc.

Handruin

Administrator