Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could be better

• Keep the current header

• Total voters

Handruin

Administrator
It's your crazy webmaster here again, looking to spice things up a bit. I was looking for feedback on a possible new design to our logo and header to the forum.

This is only a mockup of the header, I haven't had a chance to put it into HTML yet, but only designed within photoshop.

If you have the chance, can you give me some feedback.

-Doug

layouttest.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Just to keep everyone sane, yes you read the buttons correctly, that does say calendar. If you are interested, here is the demo calendar. It's on the beta site, so feel free to abuse it. Any data entered will be deleted in the end, so please don't post important information.

I'm not sure what we'll use it for, but I figured someone may come up with an idea, even if it is to keep track of moderators... :) It works on a submission system, so you will have to login in order to submit something.

We could even keep track of birthdays if people are interested.

http://beta.storageforum.net/phpgold/calendar.php

There are a few other items being added, one you may notice directly on the main page...just move your mouse around and you may see...

http://beta.storageforum.net/phpgold/

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I like the new look better.

Is it possible to get rid of the white background box around it and make it transparent to the light grey around it. It would look more natural if it wasn't highlighted with the box.

Handruin

Administrator
P5-133XL said:
I like the new look better.

Is it possible to get rid of the white background box around it and make it transparent to the light grey around it. It would look more natural if it wasn't highlighted with the box.

In the image I posted, it is no more then a crop of my current mockup. The white you see in the background will not be in the final version because each piece of the above image will be separate. (Each button and the logo will be their own images) If I've misunderstood your comment can you please explain further what you mean for me?

Here is the same image in GIF format. This image has white selected to be transparent:

newlayout.gif

Handruin

Administrator
I will also fix the gap where the top right button does not line up with the end, but that will be for tomorrow...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You understood perfectly and what you are saying is that it was simply an artifact of the cut & paste method of getting it into the post and thus was never a problem. It looks much better without the background box. Thanks

Another thing I've notice is that the Q in FAQ looks too large in proportion to the other letters.

Also the spacing between the letters seems to be too tight within the buttons: They sometimes seem to merge together. Perhaps that is simply the low contrast between the white and the light blue-grey. I think the look could be improved with an increase in the kerning spacing between those letters.

Handruin

Administrator
P5-133XL said:
You understood perfectly and what you are saying is that it was simply an artifact of the cut & paste method of getting it into the post and thus was never a problem. It looks much better without the background box. Thanks

Another thing I've notice is that the Q in FAQ looks too large in proportion to the other letters.

Also the spacing between the letters seems to be too tight within the buttons: They sometimes seem to merge together. Perhaps that is simply the low contrast between the white and the light blue-grey. I think the look could be improved with an increase in the kerning spacing between those letters.

Thanks again for the feedback. It was indeed an artifact of the cut and past. I left the white background because the top of the forum is currently white. But it certainly looks odd when placed in a post with a gray background.

The current text within each button is set to a tracking space of 12 within Photoshop. I was trying to be conservative for the resolution-impaired views. ;) (Not that the entire design is tiny to begin with) I will play around with the font space a bit more and clean up the lettering in order to improve the readability.

The Q in "FAQ" is actually the font. It's not a goof up on my part, but rather the style of the font. If it doesn't work, I will try something else.

I will try to post a few more examples with the items you mentioned. I appreciate any feedback, as I'm trying to make this site look as good as I am able to do.

Thanks,

-Doug

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
One word, Doug: yes.

Looking good.

The FAQ should be the site FAQ, as opposed to the generic phpBB FAQ. When you get to that part, let me know, and I'll spruce up some text for you.

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
One word, Doug: yes.

Looking good.

The FAQ should be the site FAQ, as opposed to the generic phpBB FAQ. When you get to that part, let me know, and I'll spruce up some text for you.

Do you want the FAQ to be only our site's info, or should we add on to it and remove some of the bloat that came with the forum?

In the mean time, do you want me to e-mail you their current FAQ file so you can work from that, or do you have something else in mind?

Anything is fine by me, just let me know what you need from me.

-D

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ha! Now I've let myself in for it!

Probably just as easy for me to FILE / SAVE AS isn't it?

Be nice to hear some other opinions on this, but I guess the best would be for me to dovetail the generic phpBB FAQ and the current Storage Forum site FAQ into one document, yes? Then I can un-announce the FAQ in the Feedback section.

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
Ha! Now I've let myself in for it!

Probably just as easy for me to FILE / SAVE AS isn't it?

Be nice to hear some other opinions on this, but I guess the best would be for me to dovetail the generic phpBB FAQ and the current Storage Forum site FAQ into one document, yes? Then I can un-announce the FAQ in the Feedback section.

The layout of the FAQ page is not too bad but it could be trimmed down a bit. Would you want to keep the current format that is there, and just modify the content?

Editing that page isn't too hard, it's mostly a copy and paste of the html in order to add additonal sections.

Handruin

Administrator
basically a brighter color of blue is what it looks like. I can do that. I'll wip something up later tonight. Thanks for the feedback.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
While I like the color better than in Doug's first draft, the font style needs some rework. The letters are so bold that we almost have to guess some of them. If the letter frames were a bit thinner, it would be more readable IMO.

Handruin

Administrator
Well, after all the feedback, here is the next version:

newlayout2.gif

Let me know what you think...is it heading in the correct direction, or should I scratch and start over?

-DC

Handruin

Administrator
I also changed the font from Hemi head 246 to Dungeon and spaced out the text.

What about the silver bars at the top and bottom? Should I ditch those for some new design? I'm having writer's block, if you want to call it that.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Handruin, if you look at the first change I posted, the linear blend has a much greater contrast, I think that might provide more of the 3-D look that this nav bar needs. All I did was increase the contrast and decrease the brightness of the original logo you posted.

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
Handruin, how's this without the white bars:

newlayout4.gif

...it looks a little too symetrical, doesn't it.

I think there is too much blue without the silver bars, but I'm not liking the silver bars for some reason any more. It might take some time, but I'll come up with something else.

I'll have to invest in a good looking "Q". I don't know what is with the fonts I choose, they both have stinky "Q"'s ;)

Shhh, don't tell Tony I stole the seek arm from one of his pictures and manipulated the hell out of it. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
Would you mind if I took a stab at the orignal file (if it's a psd file)?

buck@hlmcompany.com

Check you're e-mail.

Thanks for lending a hand, I (and the entire site) appreciate it! :)

Sorry if the Photoshop files are messy, I get carried away with layers sometimes.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
CougTek said:
It would look too much like Ars Technica Merc.

Ars has a black background, but the text is white, and the trim is orange. Only their logo is vaguely tasteful. Ars original site design, which IIRC was blue and white on black, was actually much nicer.

I just remember the joy of my hercules-graphics display (green on greenish-black), and think it would be great to replicate it.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Doug, I voted for the new one. However, keep in mind that changing to the new header doesn't necessarily mean you throw away the old one (of course you knew that, hehe)... Whenever you feel like it- every 3-4 months- you can swap between the various designs...

I like seeing new designs now and then. However KEEP IN MIND that I'm expecting to find the keys in the same positions!! That's of outmost importance!

Handruin

Administrator
Prof.Wizard said:
Doug, I voted for the new one. However, keep in mind that changing to the new header doesn't necessarily mean you throw away the old one (of course you knew that, hehe)... Whenever you feel like it- every 3-4 months- you can swap between the various designs...

I like seeing new designs now and then. However KEEP IN MIND that I'm expecting to find the keys in the same positions!! That's of outmost importance!

They call them keys over in Italy? :wink: I'll try my best to keep the menu in order. I would rather not like to change the design too often or else people will not become used to an established logo. I would not throw out the old logo, I usually archive old media somewhere.

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
Handruin, I've been working on the logo, but is there some type of color scheme that we want to match?

My idea was to create the color scheme in the logo, then I can adapt the forum to match. I think it would make the job much easier to do it that way since changing the forum colors is a #@$!#.

I didn't have any specific colors in mind, so I'm no help in that area. I always like blue, but I want to keep us separate from SR.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Make it a dark color with lighter lettering. I don't care what dark color, but the darker the better. Black is the best, but very dark green or blue will do also.

Look at Tannin's site for help on this.