Impressed with ghost 2003

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I am using ghost 2003 to backup a computer using the CD-RW.... wow... I am really impressed. This is such a nice and easy solution. If I can find a copy of it for under $20 I will definately buy it. (Im using the trialware that expires images after a 15 day period) THis software belongs in my toolbox for useful software.. I wonder how they are going to handle CD-drive updates....

I was kind of surprised that it supported my CD drive as it is an older 4x drive (smart and friendly speedwriter RW which is actually made be someone else and just relabled and refirmwared)

I am kinda worried about whether the write will be successful... given that both the HD and the CD drive are running in PIO mode in DOS and they are both on the same IDE channel.

Windows allows M/W DMA mode 2 for the HDD... and I think DMA on the CD drive... CPU usage is still high when testing the CD drive.

I guess we'll see when the image is done... I was going to try 1. running the scandisk feature of nero CD speed, 2. using ghost to "test" the image, and 3. copying the image to the HDD... any other suggestions for reliable tests?

honold

Storage is cool
you can find a copy of it in systemworks pro for under $20 - with norton antivirus, cleansweep, utilities, etc

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
great, i was thinking it came bundled as OEM with some other norton software.... Sure beats the pants off the price listen on norton's website... was that the "retail" version or the "enterprise" version?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Retail version will do you fine ... key word is "Pro"... don't think Ghost is packaged with the "regular" SystemWorks

honold

Storage is cool
non-enterprise

enterprise versions require a 10 client minimum purchase, and probably have no features that you want/need

as cityk wisely pointed out, 'pro' is the keyword. 2003 should be found cheaply very soon

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The enterprise version does offer some useful features. The basic (systemworks or Personal Edition) version doesn't want to save to network drives. The enterprise version will save to any UNC path.

Not to mention that anything better than Ghost PE doesn't do that B.S. "two binaries and type in your product key to restore"...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry, I'm considering buying Ghost 2003 (via Systemworks Pro 2003), does it ask for the product key everytime you restore?? That's a no-no! The the non-enterprise versions ask, the enterprise version doesn't? Gee, I'm sure the enterprise version costs a bundle. Maybe I should go with DriveImage 2002 :x.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Any version of Ghost that isn't Personal Edition is a single binary with no serial number requirement. Personal Edition is included with lots of motherboards, and is probably the version that guys like Tannin are familiar with.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
Any version of Ghost that isn't Personal Edition is a single binary with no serial number requirement. Personal Edition is included with lots of motherboards, and is probably the version that guys like Tannin are familiar with.

Hmm. The version I use is a single binary. It came with NSW 2001. What is the other binary besides ghostpe.exe?