Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
It's interesting, but...
why are you laughing?!
wht.gif

Adcadet

Storage Freak
my guess is that he's laughing at the spelling of "interesting."

I was a bit disappointed this didn't refer to Software for Applied Statistics - the SAS I know and love. Or hate, depending.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Adcadet said:
OK my bad.
Actually this is a problem of the English language which doesn't separate singular from plural.

I was talking on both. (Bozo seems to laugh too) Not that's illegal, but it confused me... I thought the site was a prank.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Prof.Wizard said:
Adcadet said:
OK my bad.
Actually this is a problem of the English language which doesn't separate singular from plural.

I was talking on both. (Bozo seems to laugh too) Not that's illegal, but it confused me... I thought the site was a prank.

eh?

English lang. problem? in your language can you make adjectives plural? Off the top of my head nouns are the only things that can be plural in the english language... nouns are defined as persons, places, things or ideas. Adjectives are words describing a noun, and verbs are words expressing actions or the existence/occurance of a noun.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
blakerwry said:
eh?

English lang. problem?
English language is cool and It's my favorite (excuse me, favourite). But... it has some shortcomings even English-language teachers acknowledge.

In my above sentence "why are you laughing?!" you can't you make out if I'm talking to Jan Kivar or both...
Also, in English there is no "courtesy" adjective. In all other languages I happen to know (Greek, Italian, German, some French) you can appreciate if somebody is talking with respect or not. In English it's always "you".
kult.gif

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Prof.Wizard said:
blakerwry said:
eh?

English lang. problem?
English language is cool and It's my favorite (excuse me, favourite). But... it has some shortcomings even English-language teachers acknowledge.

In my above sentence "why are you laughing?!" you can't you make out if I'm talking to Jan Kivar or both...
Also, in English there is no "courtesy" adjective. In all other languages I happen to know (Greek, Italian, German, some French) you can appreciate if somebody is talking with respect or not. In English it's always "you".
kult.gif

The prblem with determining who you were talking to was not one of the language, it is one of your use of the language.

However, I will agree that we don't have the same courtesy usage as is common in other languages. I think some of that courtesy is lost because of the morals and ideals of the English culture. In America it is stated "All men are created equal".

If you were in the Army for example you would address people by their rank or position and not by "you". If you were in a business you would probably address your boss as "Sir" or "Mr/Mrs xxxxx", but you would use the word "you" after the initial address.

But in everyday life (and especially in a casual situation like these forums) "you" is about all you will see.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
blakerwry said:
The prblem with determining who you were talking to was not one of the language, it is one of your use of the language.
So you're implying that my use of language in that sentence was wrong.
"You really believe that?"
OK, am I addressing the above sentence to you or to all readers? In most other Western languages you would have understood..
However, I will agree that we don't have the same courtesy usage as is common in other languages. I think some of that courtesy is lost because of the morals and ideals of the English culture. In America it is stated "All men are created equal".
English comes from British English which is far earlier than your American ideals. How you explain the lack of courtesy form in the British society?
If you were in the Army for example you would address people by their rank or position and not by "you". If you were in a business you would probably address your boss as "Sir" or "Mr/Mrs xxxxx", but you would use the word "you" after the initial address.
That's true. AFAIK only German is strict about courtesy!
But in everyday life (and especially in a casual situation like these forums) "you" is about all you will see.
And that's the problem again. You singular or plural? Casual or respectful?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Any language in which it is acceptable to refer to somebody as "Mr. Doctor Professor XYZ" (English translation) is cool.

How common is it to hear somebody say (excuse the spelling, I've never taken German) Herr Doctor Profesor XYZ around the universities? And in that case, does "Doctor" refer to somebody with a PhD or SciD, or a medical degree?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Adcadet said:
Any language in which it is acceptable to refer to somebody as "Mr. Doctor Professor XYZ" (English translation) is cool.
I didn't get it if you're joking here, but yes it is...
How common is it to hear somebody say (excuse the spelling, I've never taken German) Herr Doctor Profesor XYZ around the universities?
Actually, while in Germany, I heard the students calling their prof Herr Professor, something you hear in Greece too, Êýñéå ÊáèçãçôÜ.
And in Germany again, when you address officially somebody (ie. a speaker in a panel) you address all his titles!
In Italy it's like the USA, UK... simple Professore...
And in that case, does "Doctor" refer to somebody with a PhD or SciD, or a medical degree?
Theoretically speaking, doctor is anyone with a Doctoral degree (DSc, PhD, MD, JD, etc.). However depending the country these practices change. In Greece you'll never hear calling somebody Äüêôùñ unless he's a doctor of medicine or dentistry. In Italy every university graduate used to be called Dottore (till a recent EU-harmonizing law) because of the system to have doctoral thesis in all faculties.

PS. To view the Greek choose encoding. :wink:

Adcadet

Storage Freak
ah, cool with the Greek encoding.

And no, I wasn't joking.

OK, so how do you refer to somebody who is a president of a research foundation, has an MD, PhD, is a professor and has a master's-level degree? Herr President Professor Doctor, guy-with-a-master's XYZ?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Adcadet said:
OK, so how do you refer to somebody who is a president of a research foundation, has an MD, PhD, is a professor and has a master's-level degree? Herr President Professor Doctor, guy-with-a-master's XYZ?
Only the pre- titles. Like Herr Doktor Professor, not MD, PhD, etc.
I'm not really in the protocol, but yes they officially address them with railway names in Germany!

I once heard a Herr Doktor Doktor (he had two doctorals, I think a honorary DSc and an MD)... really!