Installed Windows .NET enterprise server tonight...

Handruin

Administrator
Check out the screen capture....no big deal, but it's kind of neat!

Large image

Small image

I installed it in about 1 hour on a Dell 6350 4x 550 PII Xeon with 1 GB ram at work. It's kinda sluggish surprisingly. I haven't played with all the features, but it looks like fun. I'll capture more images tomorrow.

(note this is beta 3)

edit note, I had to adjust the links because they changed for the images.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
What's different, if anything?
It looks like 2000 Server with that silly XP interface.

Nice hardware, though. I'm sure it's quite responsive for server tasks. Maybe it would seem less sluggish if you "optimized performance for applications" rather than Background Services, as is the default with Windows Server products. And if you weren't running a late Beta.

Surprising to see how little RAM you're using, too. 2000 just got better and better the more RAM I gave it, but yours seems to be quite well-fed in that respect.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
1 Giga is little for 4 P2s? :eek:

Doug, if you have time post more screenshots... They DO look cool!
A propo, what's wrong with the Luna interface?! At last Windows' GUI got a refurbishment...

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
Barry K. Nathan said:
Prof.Wizard said:
1 Giga is little for 4 P2s? :eek:

No, no, look at the screenshot more carefully.

Less than 80MB of that 1GB is in use!

Oh, wait, WHOOPS. It's displaying page file usage where NT/2K/XP used to display virtual memory usage.

I bet that's going to confuse a lot of people once Windows.NET comes out...

Looking at it again, I think (assuming I'm not misinterpreting things again) it's using about 170MB of memory, about 70 of which is disk cache, and it's using an additional 71MB in the swap file. So the memory usage isn't impressively small, after all...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yeah but still... 1GB for 4 previous-generation Pentium 2 processors is more than enough, even for server enviroments... OK OK, that depends... but 170MB is far less the 1024 available...