Intel App. Accelerator

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Anybody use it? (I know most people here are AMD types) Does it break anything? Does it actually do anything useful? The Inquirer has a news item raving about it. I can't test/use it - I'm still chugging along on good ol 440BX, but some people I know may benefit from it, but I can't go experimenting on their m/cs.

TIA

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
It's basically just IDE drivers from what I've seen... they improve performance in some areas and break it in others... same old crap... I'd probably just stick with the microsoft drivers that come with windows.

The one thing I liked about it is that it allowed you to adjust AAM in windows.

Other than that I wouldn't install it again.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
It is not "just" an IDE driver. Besides the few performance enhancements that are claimed by Intel, the most important feature for me is that it allows the Intel motherboard to support 48-bit LBA.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Oh yeah, and if you want 48-bit LBA support under Windows XP, you'll need to install SP1. That way you'll have the appropriate combination of hardware and software support with an Intel Chipset/Windows XP duo.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thaks Blake, buck.

Buck, you didn't give your opinionon the product, and recommendation as to using / not using it........

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
If you need the 48-bit support, it is worth using the Application Accelerator versus purchasing an adapter card. Other then that feature, I have no opinion on the upgrade from Intel.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Buck said:
It is not "just" an IDE driver. Besides the few performance enhancements that are claimed by Intel, the most important feature for me is that it allows the Intel motherboard to support 48-bit LBA.

I didn't realize you needed IAA to get LBA 48 if you already had SP1 installed... i thought SP1 fixed the problem as long as your hardware supported LBA48. (Am I wrong?)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
blakerwry said:
I didn't realize you needed IAA to get LBA 48 if you already had SP1 installed... i thought SP1 fixed the problem as long as your hardware supported LBA48. (Am I wrong?)

Which Intel chipset natively supports 48-bit LBA?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Buck said:
blakerwry said:

Which Intel chipset natively supports 48-bit LBA?

ICH4 and ICH5 southbridges... (available on P4 northwood mobos)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
blakerwry said:

You are not wrong Blakerman. With SP1 you'll get the full capacity of the drive. Isn't it cool that you can own a 440BX board running Windows 98 and get it to use a 200GB drive?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Oh, poop. I was hoping somebody could corroborate the tall performance claims Intel makes on their website for IAA.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
mubs said:
Oh, poop. I was hoping somebody could corroborate the tall performance claims Intel makes on their website for IAA.

Well, for one, I have heard of a number of instances of INCOMPATIBILITIES between Intel Application Accelerator and certain CD recording software packages.

Scared off yet???

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been installing it in everyPC/Server I 've put together in the last year. (~24) This was installed on Win2000. I install W2K, SP3, Intel Software Update, 800 series INF update, and then the APP Accel. Usually after the INF update, W2K reports it has found new hardware and ask for another reboot. Then adding the App Accel I see a performance boost, espeacially when loading programs or transfering files. (the servers all run SCSI X15s, but have a removable IDE drive for extra storage.)

Never had any problems as long as I followed the same install order.

Bozo :D

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
One other note: Nero and EZ Cd Creator work fine on all the boxes that have a burner in them. Nero being my preference. All boxes that have a burner are Plextors.
Also, when the box is completely set up, SP3 is run again.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
omg, that was a royal pain in the butt.... that's my big grudge against NT4... if you dont reapply the service pack after any and every system change that involved a file copy then you often get wierd errors that don't correspond to the real problem at all...

reinstalling the service pack of course fixes the problem, however if you install a service pack without uninstalling it 1st(install ontop of another service pack, even if it's the same version) then you can never go back to the prior configuration (last service pack) if there was a problem.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
What I have found on the second install of the service pack, is that it installs more files. I can only presume that these files are needed for the software that was installed.