Intel INF files

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Yesterday I upgraded my daughters computer from low end Celeron to the fastest P4 that the motherboard ( Intel DG965WH ) could handle.
After starting I went into the BIOS to make sure the new CPU was properly recognized. Leaving the BIOS and rebooting there were a series of beeps and the computer shut down. Got back into the BIOS and found that the computer shut down because of an overheated CPU. I checked the fan setting in the BIOS, pulled the heatsink/fan to check that there was full contact with the CPU, applied new heatsink compound and restarted the computer. Same problem. BTW, the heatsink was quite warm to the touch.
I installed a temporary 120mm fan blowing right on the CPU and finally got the computer to boot into the OS. I went to Intel's site and downloaded the latest INF files and installed them ( this SOP for me after any change to the motherboard, problems or not ) . After the reboot, I noticed the fans were running at a much lower RPM than before the INF drivers were install. I disconnected the temporary 120mm fan and the system kept running. Now the system is more like normal with the CPU fan running at a slow speed and speeding up when the load increases.
Could the INF driver have fixed a problem that the CPU was having with the motherboard chipset, causing the CPU to run hot??
Weird

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The thing I can say along those lines is that it's very typical for new motherboards and video cards to run fans at full speed until OS installation is completed and drivers have been loaded. There could have been a power management feature or something you couldn't directly interact with that configured fan speed for you the slower CPU that machine used to have.