Intel pinout change strikes again! From 603 pins to 604...

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Have they got nothing else to do? I guess they can't figure a way to increase the P4's IPC so they get high on changing pinouts :roll:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Honestly, upgrading "server" CPUs doesn't happen very often. A change in the Xeon socket is nowhere near as distressing as a change to the P3/P4 since in all likelihood, the people buying these new chips are probably buying whole new servers at the same time.

Still, it's amazing how much life AMD's 462 pins have had.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Re: Intel pinout change strikes again! From 603 pins to 604.

Pradeep said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6469

Should we have expected any different? Bill, going to upgrade again? ;)
Not unless I strike gold somewhere. I'm still pretty happy with my system now. If anything I'll upgrade to 3.0 or higher Xeons way off in the future. I think I've seen that Intel plans to keep offering the 400FSB versions up to 3.2ghz.

The question I have about the new 533ghz Xeons (604 pin) is how well they are going to work with DDR. Apparently the new Intel chip set for them doesn't support RDRAM. I would hate to go buy a new board and two new 533mhz FSB Xeons only to find out they perform worse than a system such as I have now because of the DDR.

Rumor has it by the way that the 604 pin Xeons are going to eventually be available with 1mgb L2 cache.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
I believe the new pin is for memory addresssing support of the larger cache.

Dïscfärm

With this planned obsolescence and the price increase of the new Xeon, I believe that this new additional pin is actually a penis -- which is all part of Intel's masterplan to keep on f*cking the customer as hard and as often as possible (every 18 months). :evil:

iGary

Gee whiz there, Dïscfärm. Aren't we acting just a bit ribald tonight!

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Dïscfärm said:
With this planned obsolescence and the price increase of the new Xeon, I believe that this new additional pin is actually a penis -- which is all part of Intel's masterplan to keep on f*cking the customer as hard and as often as possible (every 18 months). :evil:

I can see the conversation at Intel World Headquarters now.
CEO: we need to really screw over the customer. How can we do that?
Marketing guy: well, why don't we just cut the IPC in half, double the clock speed, and sell it as being four times as fast?
CEO: been there, done that
Engineer: well.....we can always change the pinout
CEO: yes, that would really screw over the customer
Evil Engineer: with my new technology we could actually mount a tiny penis on the chip so we can literally screw the customer
Marketing: and we can charge more for this PENIS ENHANCEMENT.
CEO: I love it!

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Adcadet said:
Dïscfärm said:

I can see the conversation at Intel World Headquarters now.
CEO: we need to really screw over the customer. How can we do that?
Marketing guy: well, why don't we just cut the IPC in half, double the clock speed, and sell it as being four times as fast?
CEO: been there, done that
Engineer: well.....we can always change the pinout
CEO: yes, that would really screw over the customer
Evil Engineer: with my new technology we could actually mount a tiny penis on the chip so we can literally screw the customer
Marketing: and we can charge more for this PENIS ENHANCEMENT.
CEO: I love it!

Bwahahahhahahaahahah