Intel Speed Step monitoring

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey all - so here I am, with my beautiful new Dell Inspiron 8200 wondering about how to tweak the power saving featues of the Intel Speed Step stuff. First, does anybody know where within WinXP I can alter CPU speed preferances? So far I haven't found any way. And second, does anybody know a good, simple program for monitoring CPU speed?

Thanks!
Adcadet

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
by far the best little proggie for what you want it WCPUID. it's small, accurate, full of detailed info and free! you can get it here: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html

here is screen shot:
wcpuid.jpg

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
What Jake should have also meantioned is that one of the menu buttons produces a real time CPU speed window.

I have no idea how to adjust the criteria for dumping into speedstep mode. If it is based on heat, and I think it is, it may be BIOS level.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
There is nowhere in winXP where you can specifically set the speed you want when SpeedStep kicks in. However in the BIOS there are a few mysetroiusly described options, including max power saving, more performance etc. Remember in the BIOS you need to use ALT+P to move between setting pages (simple eh?)

The only thing I have found to work is to set the power saving to "Always On". Left click on the power cable icon in systray to get the choices. This ensures that the CPU is always running at it's maximum speed, I find with the P4 I need every single MHz I can get.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
timwhit said:
Jake, who is your avatar a picture of?

Da Ali G. he's comedic character based on an indian-brit rapper. he has a weekly variety show in which he often interviews very famous people and his no-shame style can certainly be very funny indeed. i suspect that he might not appeal to a more North-American sense of humour :) afaik, he's only really popular in britain and in Australia to some extent.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Jake the Dog said:
timwhit said:
Jake, who is your avatar a picture of?

Da Ali G. he's comedic character based on an indian-brit rapper. he has a weekly variety show in which he often interviews very famous people and his no-shame style can certainly be very funny indeed. i suspect that he might not appeal to a more North-American sense of humour :) afaik, he's only really popular in britain and in Australia to some extent.

My friend from London introduced me to Ali G. I find him hilarious, though it usually takes me an extra second to translate his British English.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Thanks Cliptin and Ali G...uh, make that Jake the Dog. I didn't know WCPUID now had a real time CPU speed checker. Tre cool

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I found some of the shows on Kazaa, I will check them out.

I'm sure I could also get them on IRC, but that's a PITA.