Interesting CPU Test

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Dual-core processors didn't always fare well. To be fair, these tests tend to focus on single applications running at a time (even though some are multi-threaded). We're not attempting to measure perceived responsiveness, and that may be the dual-core processor's real strength. Of course, part of the reason is that the dual-core CPUs tend to be priced higher than their single-core clock-rate equivalents. Certainly the die sizes are as much to blame as any premium pricing by the CPU companies: A bigger die means higher costs, and so they need to be priced higher. If you compare them with the cost of two single cores, then the picture looks a bit brighter. But it's also clear that application development for multicore is still relatively immature, and we'll need to wait awhile to see more significant benefits.

Really :?: I have a dual Xeon 2.8 in the other room, and, with scsi in both, admittedly a dual cheetah raid zero on the Supermicro/xeon rig, there isn't any comparision between the two, speedwise. The Athlon 3000+ does shine at games, which might be what these guys are mainly intrested in.

I'm sorry, but I trust you guys enough not to waste time sorting through the entire review...

GS

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Hoolie doolie! The Pentium 4 630 gets the nod for best office CPU? Obviously these guys don't build or use computers.