iPhone syndrome

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well this got a laugh out of me. And then I thought about it and, yeah, that'd probably make them a lot cooler, if you're in to that sort of thing.

m0M6HcY.png

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't quite get it. Is that a real product? What holds the earphones in place?

LunarMist

The Airpods are a real product. The buttplug subwoofer is not. To your second question, friction.

I suspect they will be falling out accidentally with exertion or at other times. Everyone does not have the exact same anatomy.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
There is no headphone jack at all?
Correct, The iPhone7 lacks a 3.5mm headphone jack. Instead users are expected to use bluetooth headphones for audio.

IIRC, Belkin already make a bluetooth to 3.5mm headphone adapter for those users.

IIRC, Apple also own the primary manufacturer of bluetooth chipsets and has a slew of patents in relation to bluetooth as well.

LunarMist

How much does a jack cost compared to the $700 phone?
I'd not be throwing out hundreds or thousands of dollars in perfectly good and probably better headphones.
There is the hassle factor of more products to charge - 3 instead of one. Then of course after three years the batter is dead and not replaceable so you have to buy a new one. :(
What a scam.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Not following this or reading all the posts (I use a granny phone and have no plan to change) but Apple have been done before now for advertising capabilities their phone cannot provide. I forget the details but the example I have in mind was here in Oz where Apple advertised a certain ability (was it 4G?) which, in fact, only applied in very restricted circumstances, none of them relevant to this market, or indeed most others. Can't remember now if they copped a formal fine or were merely ordered to apologise, provide customer refunds, and promise not to do it again until next time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Can't remember now if they copped a formal fine or were merely ordered to apologise, provide customer refunds, and promise not to do it again until next time.

Didn't a lot of Siri stuff only work in a few countries at launch? Could've been that.

There's some talk at The Verge of the A10 CPU in the new iPhone besting some (older) Core i CPUs for single thread execution in GeekBench, but I have no idea if the Geekbench mobile CPU benchmark is equivalent to the one used on x86. I fully expect this to become a major talking point in ongoing Apple-derangement syndrome, since some folks on Slashdot and Ars Technica are already saying Apple should switch the Macbook Air to ARM.

The Verge has another, related issue with Apple-derangement: one of their founding staffer was found to be a direct employee of Apple for some time before he left his paid position at The Verge. I wasn't going to that site for its unbiased opinion of fruit-technology to begin with, but if you're a tech writer, maybe that's the sort of thing you should disclose to the people who are paying you to do that job.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I have in mind was here in Oz where Apple advertised a certain ability (was it 4G?) which, in fact, only applied in very restricted circumstances, none of them relevant to this market, or indeed most others.
The iPhone 4S, despite having a 4G chipset, wasn't compatible with the major providers here...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...lias-4g-networks/story-e6frgakx-1226158650126

IIRC, I don't believe Apple was fined, as they complied with the ACCC rulings to update all advertising first.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
One of the talk show hosts in the US (deleted the video I got on Whatsapp) did a test in New York street. They set up a table, told passersby that they would be allowed to check out the iPhone 7, that they have new technology that would transfer all their data and settings to the iPhone 7 so they could make a proper comparison. While the guy was talking and distracting the person, another guy in the background (behind the victim) merely cleaned / polished the victim's own phone, changed the back and handed it back as the new iPhone 7. Of course the results were edited, but many were oohing and aaahing about how much faster it was, how much crisper the display was, etc., all the while checking out their own phone. At the end, the guy tells the victim, just for this hour, you can trade in your old iphone and keep this new iPhone 7 with all your data for just $50. Many forked over the cash, one even went to a nearby ATM to get cash.

Handruin

Administrator
One of the talk show hosts in the US (deleted the video I got on Whatsapp) did a test in New York street. They set up a table, told passersby that they would be allowed to check out the iPhone 7, that they have new technology that would transfer all their data and settings to the iPhone 7 so they could make a proper comparison. While the guy was talking and distracting the person, another guy in the background (behind the victim) merely cleaned / polished the victim's own phone, changed the back and handed it back as the new iPhone 7. Of course the results were edited, but many were oohing and aaahing about how much faster it was, how much crisper the display was, etc., all the while checking out their own phone. At the end, the guy tells the victim, just for this hour, you can trade in your old iphone and keep this new iPhone 7 with all your data for just $50. Many forked over the cash, one even went to a nearby ATM to get cash.

This sounds like the next level beyond media and reporters fooling people into believing the old iphone looks like the new one. I'm not surprised this happens and I don't think it would be unique to apple/iphone if any of the other Android devices followed a similar regime. I mean, I don't think I could immediately tell the difference between a Samsung Galaxy S6 and a Galaxy S7 (non-edge) if someone handed them to me.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Didn't a lot of Siri stuff only work in a few countries at launch? Could've been that.

There's some talk at The Verge of the A10 CPU in the new iPhone besting some (older) Core i CPUs for single thread execution in GeekBench, but I have no idea if the Geekbench mobile CPU benchmark is equivalent to the one used on x86. I fully expect this to become a major talking point in ongoing Apple-derangement syndrome, since some folks on Slashdot and Ars Technica are already saying Apple should switch the Macbook Air to ARM.

The Verge has another, related issue with Apple-derangement: one of their founding staffer was found to be a direct employee of Apple for some time before he left his paid position at The Verge. I wasn't going to that site for its unbiased opinion of fruit-technology to begin with, but if you're a tech writer, maybe that's the sort of thing you should disclose to the people who are paying you to do that job.

I personally think it would be an interesting thing to see, only Apple would have the necessary clout to force people onto a new architecture (since they did so not once, but twice, even a third time if you count the 32-bit support cutoff) and in turn it might bring about a second try at doing the same from Microsoft. Which would fail again, since MS seems to be in UWP-or-nothing mode. For Apple it would be as simple as continuing to support the old platform for a couple years before yanking the rug out from under holdouts.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm struggling with their math myself. "While the 256GB model took two minutes and 34 seconds to complete the 4.2GB file transfer, the 32GB iPhone 7 needed a total of three minutes and 40 seconds for the same transmission." Not exactly 8x slower. Not even 2x slower. :bstd:

LunarMist

:D. Not only that but can ATT really download at speeds that exceed even the 32GB model's bandwidth?

EBH

Handruin

Administrator
I enjoy his tear downs and durability testing. I watched that last night and it's pretty sad how easy it was for him to break the new iPad in half.

LunarMist

It was refreshing to see an honest review on the durability of the device as well, something I think that is often skipped in most reviews.

That is not about durability testing. He destroyed the tablet fairly easily with common hand tools. It obviously was not designed as a ruggedized tablet. :lol:
It is interesting to violently disassemble a product so we can see how flimsy it is. I assume they did not have to return it for the next reviewer. :D
A solid case would be a good idea for some protection.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That is not about durability testing. He destroyed the tablet fairly easily with common hand tools.

What on Earth are you talking about? He simply bent it with his fingers, no tools were involved. It's also clear that he didn't need to exert much force at all.

Not only would it not survive being sat on - a realistic risk given its size and function - it might not even be up to everyday handling, if that was anything less than reverential.