Is the JSF program corrupt?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
WGCDR Chris Mills said:
Killing the Raptor program is transparently a marketing ploy designed to ensure that the F-35 JSF will be bought simply because it becomes a forced monopoly in the production and sale of US air combat aircraft.

The quote embodies the conclusion I had come to regarding the management of the Joint Strike Fighter program. In the spirit of following the money, I'd like to ask if there are vested interests who will benefit from retaining the JSF program. The program will be up for congressional review next month, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Now that it's become clearer what alternative Russia will be offering buyers, questions over the whole defense strategy of the US and its allies are coming into sharper focus.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Speaking as an ex-serviceman, I do believe in a continued alliance with the US/NATO/EU arms market rather than switching to Russian derived kit.

However like many I am starting to wonder about the management of the JSF project on all sides. Constant over-runs, budget concerns, and the acquistion recently of SuperHornets as stop gap makes me wonder what's really happening?

Will the F-35 take on the SU-27/SU-30 of our neighbours? Well, the F-35 is a tactcal fighter (like the F/A-18 ), while the SU-27/30 is long range / long reach interceptor, it's not a match-up esp with recent kit being installed in the SU-30MKs. But will the stealth properties allow the F-35 to get within striking distance before the SU-30s has time to detect/acquire/launch? That's up to the boffins as the DoD to decide...

Also how can the SU-30MKs match the AG strike roles that the F-35 is designed to take on? (But then again, even some in the US are wondering that as well, due to recent calls to restart building the A-10C for the CAS role).

Then again, maybe it's a numbers vs technology game (aka classic US vs Soviet Cold War scenario - US had the technology, but the Soviets had the numbers), and we've decided to play the technology card in this round...

ddrueding

Fixture
Bringing back the A-10 would be a pretty obvious move IMHO. Significantly more ordinance on target than an Apache, for less money and with better survivability.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Bringing back the A-10 would be a pretty obvious move IMHO. Significantly more ordinance on target than an Apache, for less money and with better survivability.

I know some of the boys over in A, love knowing that A-10s are currently on over watch (CAS) when they are out in the boonies. But remember, the Apache can stay on station just as long as the A-10, and it's weapon load will make any Jihadist think twice about popping his head up out of a fox hole/tunnel. See 30mm hitting it's target is a very scary sight. If I was out in the boonies, I wouldn't care which one it was...

Back OT: Part of the problem with the JSF project, is that the platform must complete many roles as discussed by all members of the project. In short the F-35 will have to replace the following aircraft: A-10, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, AV-8, in addition to some others.

That's a very tall order, considering the breadth of roles that those 5 aircraft can do...

BTW, the US and CIS are not the only sources of gen4.5 or gen5 aircraft, eg SAAB, EuroFighter, BAE, etc.

PS. It's normal for any Australian procurement of arms to include a significant IP transfer, in that Australia will play a major role in building it's own arms. (Similar to defense industries of India, China, etc). Another reason why we are involved in the JSF.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
No idea if the program is corrupt but I know there is a ton of waste going on. A friend of mine was working at a place that was making engine sensors. These sensors have a rating of how much ice builds up before they "shed" the ice off into the engine. They were affiliated with an engine manufacturer that was not what engine was going in the program, ie, a competitor. So anyway they designed and built some sensors that met their spec and passed them up for testing, where they found that the shed weight was higher than what the engine was designed for. From there it was just an argument on shed weights, what do you mean, all of our engines can take that shed weight no problem, and so on. Kind of scary because jet engines, especially in military craft, are designed to ingest some large stuff for use in unprepared airfields. Actually that is one of the top reasons I read somewhere that the A10 has the engines mounted where they are with the intake above the wings, it keeps debris ingestion down.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The JSF has been described as a fighter designed by a committee - which of course it is. In other words, there are too many stakeholders with conflicting wishlists; as it stands, the F-35 Lightning is unlikely to improve on any of the aircraft it's supposed to replace, except for improved VLO (stealth). Supposedly, even this may not be a huge improvement over what can be achieved with tweaks to the F/A-18 design. Apparently, the F-35 has a similar sustained turn rate to a 1969 F-4 Phantom ...

A technical analyst singled out the US and UK navies' vertical landing requirement as the biggest problem compromising the design.

Not the first time a defense project has been a disaster, the difference this time is the sheer scale of both the cost and consequences for the US and other countries' defense capabilities. All the eggs are intentionally in one basket. Goodbye air superiority.

I can't help but thinking that it looks just like a typical large software project. Everything is designed by committee and massacred by project managers. Costs are exploding, it's years behind and there's no end in sight. The project is too big to be canned (or is it?), so the charge over the cliff continues unabated.

Stereodude

Not really a
The JSF has been described as a fighter designed by a committee - which of course it is. In other words, there are too many stakeholders with conflicting wishlists; as it stands, the F-35 Lightning is unlikely to improve on any of the aircraft it's supposed to replace, except for improved VLO (stealth). Supposedly, even this may not be a huge improvement over what can be achieved with tweaks to the F/A-18 design. Apparently, the F-35 has a similar sustained turn rate to a 1969 F-4 Phantom ...

A technical analyst singled out the US and UK navies' vertical landing requirement as the biggest problem compromising the design.

Not the first time a defense project has been a disaster, the difference this time is the sheer scale of both the cost and consequences for the US and other countries' defense capabilities. All the eggs are intentionally in one basket. Goodbye air superiority.

I can't help but thinking that it looks just like a typical large software project. Everything is designed by committee and massacred by project managers. Costs are exploding, it's years behind and there's no end in sight. The project is too big to be canned (or is it?), so the charge over the cliff continues unabated.
The key is that no one involved with it is going to raise their hand and say that it's flawed. They're all milking the contract. They'll keep doing so until it get canceled. Then, after it gets canceled they'll get paid for enhancements, tweaks, and upgrades to the current aircraft.

They have no incentive to blow the whistle because no matter what happens they're getting paid, and extending the status quo is a surefire way to get paid twice. Get paid to do the work and get paid again to fix your shoddy work.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Apparently, the F-35 has a similar sustained turn rate to a 1969 F-4 Phantom ...

Source? It's not that I don't believe you, but I was under the impression of similar performance to the current F/A-18 with a slightly better thrust to weight ratio (for the F-35A model).

Not the first time a defense project has been a disaster
Eurofighter EF2000 and Tornado projects both come to mind as well... I'm sure there are others going back further...

PS. One of the many speculated reasons why the YF-23 lost to the YF-22 in trials, was due to Northrops history of under-quoting $$$ and time required to bring it's aircraft to front-line readiness... One of the key companies on the F-35? Northrop Grumman... (Northrop pruchased Grumman in the late 90's).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Source? It's not that I don't believe you, but I was under the impression of similar performance to the current F/A-18 with a slightly better thrust to weight ratio (for the F-35A model).

This Aviation Week article mentions an original source.

This Air Power article says:
The sustained turning performance of the F-35A Lightning II was recently disclosed as 4.95 G at Mach 0.8 and 15,000 ft. A 1969 F-4E Phantom II could sustain 5.5 Gs at 0.8 Mach with 40 percent internal fuel at 20,000 feet. The F-35 is also much slower than the 1960s F-4E or F-105D. So the F-35A’s aerodynamic performance is ‘retrograde’ when compared with 1960s legacy fighters.

Calculation here results in 10.6 deg/sec. F-16C is quoted as 14 deg/sec (at altitude, not sea level).

Not really anything to do with military efficacy, but Sukhoi Su-30 MKI - waltz in the sky is fun to watch.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Thanks Time, very informative. Good to see some solid numbers, rather than press release material.

I remember a long time ago at the Avalon Air Show watching a Mirage, F/A-18 and F-111 all do a turn at the same time to demonstrate the turning ability of the then-new F/A-18... There was significant difference between the 3, with the Mirage being the worst, and the F/A-18 being the best...

So why are we going backwards then?

The SAAB Gripen NG, EF2000, Rafale or even more F/A-18E's are looking like a better deal...
Hell for the money we are spending, why don't we bring back the YF-23???

ddrueding

Fixture
Why are we even designing aircraft with a cockpit at all? Better alternatives already exist. If you were on the ground, would you prefer an Apache, A-10, or 10 UAVs circling?

This is one of the main reasons I like small government. The larger it (and it's projects) are, the slower it/they move and the more corrupt it/they is/are.

Every government project is corrupt. The larger the project, the larger the percentage that is lost to corruption.

ddrueding

Fixture
Unfortunately UCAV's don't offer their operators the same level of SA (situational awareness) that a person in the seat of a Apache or A-10 has. I'll take either the Apache or A-10 any day.

I would disagree with you there. The Apache or A-10 pilot has quite a few additional tasks to perform (flying the plane) and more things on their mind (not dying). The amount of information at your disposal sitting in a trailer is also significantly higher, and your ability to change your perspective from first person to something more informative is significant. Further, there is no restriction on the number of people operating a UAV at any time; you could have the Apollo mission control dedicated to each one if it were beneficial to do so.

I've seen a pair of A-10s do their CAS dance, with an aircraft (and the pilot's eyes) locked on target every 30 seconds or so, but that is nothing compared to a whole crew watching a live video feed with the ability to target anything they see at any time.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Bandwidth limitations preclude it. Note that they have had to abandon video feed encryption to keep comms performance in the acceptable range. And then there's latency, particularly problematic when you're trying to control a complex high performance machine like a fighter.

There is also the slight problem of the enemy jamming your control frequencies ...

It will become feasible when they can instill enough AI in the aircraft.

One of the cool things about that Sukhoi demo is knowing that the pilot doesn't have to think about or even understand how to co-ordinate all the flight control surfaces, including the thrust vectoring. You just yank on the joystick and it does the rest ... okay, not quite. Same with the F22 I imagine. There's a related YouTube link that shows what the experience is like for a pilot.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
One of the problems that I understand faces Oz is that there is no real replacement for the F-111 bomber that we use to project power. The US isn't going to give us the stealth bombers that they use to fulfill this role, and we don't have the carriers to project either. Hopefully a few of the operational diesel subs will be able to sink a few enemy ships before being discovered.

ddrueding

Fixture
The F-111 and the B-1 used to be incredible aircraft. This particular role is something AU needs more than pretty much anyone else (except for Russia). Perhaps developing something in-house based on the -111 tech would be a better solution?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
dd, I agree with Time. Latency and lack of bandwidth for the needed sensor data will result in less than satisfactory performance in a high-intensity CAS role. (eg, Command latency, would in a measure of 3-4 seconds, possibly even higher).

dd, as you play MS Flight Sim, what's the difference in your control and SA, when the FPS (frames per second) are in the 50-60s vs when they drop to 5-10s? The drop in FPS affects your ability greatly, doesn't it? (Anyone who has played Falcon4.0 for a while, knows exactly the effect of low FPS has in combat). I would suspect many UCAVs operators would be flying in the 15-20 FPS on a regular basis. Add in the need for rapid response times, and bad things start happening.

However, I do see UCAVs becoming a staple in A-G operations, eg precision strike in heavy AAA/SAM threat areas, taking on indirect fire missions where response time is not that important, etc.

Once the boffins get around that latency and bandwidth issue (think data rates in 10's of kbps being normal for Sat operations in this day and age for mil hardware), yes, then UCAVs could take on the CAS role effectively.

And in regards to having an A-10 or Apache or any other pilot flying CAS, the emotional connection to the battle by being directly there should not be underestimated, in comparison to someone sitting in an air conditioned box some 1000's of miles away. Someone directly in the battle will fit harder every time. (especially when they have incoming rounds directed at them).

On the F-111 issue. Many are sad to see the Pig being retired. ("Pig" is the RAAF slang for the F-111). But we must think about, what replacement is viable? Tornado (about to be EOL), SU-24 (we don't operate CIS aircraft), B-1B or B-2 (too expensive and would start a Cold War in SE Asia), etc? Is having that long range strike capability in line with current and future proposed defence plans?

ddrueding

Fixture
I think we are talking at slightly cross points here. I do understand that presently quite a few UAVs are hand-flown, and that direct control of them during combat is the norm. But think about this: If we were to drop JSF right now and put the money that hasn't been spent yet into UAVs, where would they be? Getting a couple hundred MB/s of highly encrypted, channel-agile bandwidth to the other side of the world is peanuts in comparison to making a pig fly (not the -111, the -35). And the amount of bandwidth actually hitting the UAV can be small with most of the incoming information sourced from other surveillance assets. I agree that someone who is getting shot at will fight harder, but not for you, for them. I would also point out that overly emotional combatants are far more likely to cause collateral damage.

Honestly, I see only one reason why any of our soldiers should be within range of any of their weapons, and it isn't tactical. If there is no death in war, there is less reason not to have one.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I think we are talking at slightly cross points here.

As do I.

I do agree whole heartily, that if the JSF project is canned and those funds pushed into multiple UCAV purpose built designs (rather than a single design run by a committee ala F-35), the potential is significant... but what to do about current in service aircraft that are due to retirement?

The only problem with next generation UCAV that operate with AI (and I'm sure many would agree to this question/problem), who has the final say in weapons release? Would it be possible to trust AI in this regard, or would a human operator always be the one to press the trigger? Or would you rely on AI for targeting, with a human pressing a button confirming that it can engage to kill?

Anyway, on the whole, I do believe that the current Gen5 aircraft under development (eg The F-22, F-35, PAK-FA T-50) will be the last to have pilots in them. I can't remember who said it, but it goes roughly like: "the number one drawback to any current aircraft design is the pilot. Get rid of the pilot, and I'll show you a combat aircraft that will pull 20+ Gs sustained in combat maneuvers". (and this was in the late 80's).

PS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_PAK_FA

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Chewy, in the US they are showing an ad for the Air Force on TV, they show the video that the remote operator sees, it looks very nice. Clearly we are looking at megabits per sec (of course you can't beat the ability to snap your head around to acquire a target but given that the cost of a mistake is the loss of a unmanned drone and not a human life it seems like an OK proposition in certain hostile environments).

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
AI would seem like the ultimate excuse for a total cock up.

"Who the f### dropped that 3,000lb bomb on that house that was hosting a wedding?"

"No one sir, it was plane 039".

"S###."

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Thanks for the info. So the military has come into the 21st century after all. (Ku channels typically are 25MHz in width, so could easily support several MB/s in good conditions, but latency is still an issue).

Another factor to think about, how total Ku channels does the military have and what could the satellites support? While we could split the Ku band into several thousand channels, how much of that slice would go to the military and other agencies. That would definitely put a limit on the total number of UAVs in the sky at one time in an AO.

Skynet, here we come. :)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
WGCDR Chris Mills, RAAF (Retd) - Killing the Raptor program is transparently a marketing ploy .....

An odd-ball opinion which may have some merit but only if you like conspiracty theories. The F-22 is a superb aircraft with a specialist role. It is quite expensive, and restricted in the number of different things it can do well, but it is vastly better at what it does than any other aircraft ever built. This includes the F-35 and anything the Europeans or Russians will be able to make within the next 10-20 years.

time I'd like to ask if there are vested interests who will benefit from retaining the JSF program.

Of course there are, just as there are vested interests behind the F-22 and F/A-18. Asking that question is like asking if there is a vested interest behind the Commodore, especially in the light of the axing of the Falcon.

Chewy509 like many I am starting to wonder about the management of the JSF project on all sides. Constant over-runs, budget concerns, and the acquistion recently of SuperHornets as stop gap makes me wonder what's really happening?

Well, first up, the F/A-18E/F purchase shows that our planners are not completely stupid. They have seen that the F-35 is going to be late, they know that the F-111 is becoming unworkable and the old F/A-18s are not going to last much longer (combination of metal fatigue from too many flying hours and outdated design) so they bought a very capable, cost-effective, mature, reliable aircraft that will do the job until further notice and thus save us from having to make a major commitment to the F-35 until much later, when it is a bit more mature and ready for prime time.

Meanwhile, the F-35 is taking longer and doing less than originally expected; it weighs more than they planned, and will cost more too. Indeed, at this stage, it is behaving exactly like almost every other major military aircraft design and development programme in history. Relax: situation normal. Of course it will cost more and arrive late; these sorts of projects always do.

Chewy509 Will the F-35 take on the SU-27/SU-30 of our neighbours?

Yes, quite comfortably. It doesn't have the high-alpha performance or the ultimate payload/range capacity, but it has vastly better avionics and comms - and these are the things that win air-to-air battles: between 90 and 95% of all modern air combats take place at BVR (beyond visual range) and transitional distances. These are the ones the F-35 (like the F-22) is designed to win.

Chewy509 recent calls to restart building the A-10C for the CAS role ...
ddrueding Bringing back the A-10 would be a pretty obvious move IMHO. Significantly more ordinance on target than an Apache, for less money and with better survivability.

Totally different roles. Since at least the Second World War, possibly earlier, air forces have scrambled to replace old, slow, vulnerable CAS aircraft with fast, modern, more survivable aircraft. And since almost that same time, armies and the people actually responsible for CAS have scratched around trying to get hold of something slower and older and more suited to putting the ordinance in exactly the right spot. Over and over again we have seen this same process. The reality is that very expensive, large, fast aircraft like the F-35 (ditto the Su-30, F/A-18, F-15, Tornado, and all the others) are simply not very good at doing CAS. So calling for yet another life extension for the old A-10 isn't actually a reflection on the F-35 at all - if we were all flying F-22s or Tornados or Su-30s or F-15s, it would be exactly the same. Different aircraft, different jobs. Just because you have ordered some new sports cars, that doesn't mean that you can afford to sell your delivery vans just yet.

Chewy509 maybe it's a numbers vs technology game ...

In warfare, technology has been more important than numbers since at least the time of Napoleon; arguably a lot longer than that.

Chewy509 Part of the problem with the JSF project, is that the platform must complete many roles ..... in short the F-35 will have to replace the following aircraft: A-10, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, AV-8.

Actually, just the F-15E, F-16, and F/A-18 at this stage. As more-or-less stated above, it can't replace the A-10, and my guess is that it might not replace the Harrier/AV-8 either, or at least not for quite some time. But yes, it is indeed a very tall order.

time (a whole lot of arm-waving panic) ...

Not so. It improves on all five of the key aircraft it is to replace - F-15, F/A-18, F/A18e, F-16, and F-111 with a combination of stealth, increased range (F-111 aside), better avionics, and much better sensors.

time Supposedly, even this may not be a huge improvement over what can be achieved with tweaks to the F/A-18 design.

Yes, and I am going to be the world's greatest lover (as soon as those pillls I ordered arrive). You can't graft low observable technology onto an aitframe as an afterthought, it's not like black paint. It has to be built in and designed for from the outset.

time Apparently, the F-35 has a similar sustained turn rate to a 1969 F-4 Phantom ...

You mean a 1958 F-4 Phantom, I presume - it was already a mature, well-tested design in service around the world in 1969.

But actually, who cares? Turm rate was important in 1970. Turn rate and high-alpha performance stopped being important 20 years ago when highly agile, off-boresight missiles were first deployed. Since that time, the manouverablity requirement has shifted to the missile, while the sensor power and communications/situational awareness requirement has become more and more important.

time A technical analyst singled out the US and UK navies' vertical landing requirement as the biggest problem compromising the design.

Absolutely. This puts a huge handicap on the designers. But, apparently, they still believe that they can achieve a better result with the three-version JSF than they could have done with two completely different designs. Given the cost of designing, testing and manufacturing a modern military aircraft, they may well be right.

time Not the first time a defense project has been a disaster, the difference this time is ......

.... that people who should know better are panicing already. Relax. This is normal, It happens every time. Most people who are familiar with defence matters predicted it years ago.

time Goodbye air superiority.

Balderdash. Air superiority is founded on (a) crew training, (b) sensor ability, (c) everything else.

time I can't help but thinking that it looks just like a typical large software project. Everything is designed by committee and massacred by project managers. Costs are exploding, it's years behind and there's no end in sight.

You got it in one. It will cost 3 to 4 times what was predicted, and arrive 5 years late. Situation normal. Tell you what, name three major combat aircraft projects in the last 50 years that have not been late and over-cost. Hell, name two. (I can think of one. There are probably some others, I just can't think of them at the moment.)

time (Interesting but irrelevant stuff about turn rates.) The F-35 is also much slower than the 1960s F-4E or F-105D. So the F-35A aerodynamic performance is retrograde when compared with 1960s legacy fighters.

Not at all. Just about every modern military aircraft is slower than the 1960s ones. The F/A-18 is quite a lot slower than the Mirage III it replaced, for example. Why? Because speed was proven to be important during WW2 and in Korea, so they designed faster aircraft in the 1950s and early 1960s. Then, in the Vietnam era, they discovered that manouverability was still important (most combats were still at close range at that time, of course, and missiles were short-range things with very little intelligence), so during the 1970s and 1980s they designed for manouverability. (Hence the lower straight-line speed of aircraft of that generation - f/A-18, F-16, and so on.) Then, about 20-years ago, off-boresight weapons and very effective BVR missiles and radars came along. So now, the smart designers are going for bigger, more powerful radars and lower radar signatures.

time One of the cool things about that Sukhoi demo is knowing that the pilot doesn't have to think about or even understand how to co-ordinate all the flight control surfaces, including the thrust vectoring. You just yank on the joystick and it does the rest ... okay, not quite. Same with the F22

Same with all modern (latest-generation) military aircraft. The F/A-18e is an example. The crew are supposed to be busy doing other stuff, like shooting you.

Pradeep One of the problems that I understand faces Oz is that there is no real replacement for the F-111 bomber that we use to project power. The US isn't going to give us the stealth bombers that they use to fulfill this role, and we don't have the carriers to project either. Hopefully a few of the operational diesel subs will be able to sink a few enemy ships before being discovered.

Do you know how much the B-2 costs? A pair of B-2s would cost about as much to buy (assuming the US was willing to sell) as it costs to run the entire RAAF for a year. Yep, no worries, order a couple of dozen - got a credit card handy?

The Oz subs are a complete disaster. They spend more time in dock under repair than out of it. I don't mean that as hyperbole, I mean it literally - more years in dock being fixed than years on patrol doing their job.

The "no replacement for the F-111" tale is an old one, and wrong, wrong, wrong. The F-111 has fantastic performance, load-carrying ability, and range, but it is horribly vulnerable to SAMs or fighters. It's no use having enough range to truck a bomb to Moscow if they can see you coming from a hundred miles away and shoot you down the moment you cross the coast. The F-35 & A330 tanker combo is far more able to delier a payload onto a defended target, and astronomically more likely to come back safely afterwards. Not to mention much more able to do that every day instead of needing a week in the shed being worked on before each mission.

ddrueding The F-111 and the B-1 used to be incredible aircraft. This particular role is something AU needs more than pretty much anyone else (except for Russia). Perhaps developing something in-house based on the -111 tech would be a better solution?

Cute idea, not feasable. There are three main tasks. First up, you need to re-engine them - a very large job.

Then you need a complete replacement of the electronics for this aircraft which, although much modified over the years, was designed in the early 1960s. The electronics fit-out, remember, typically accounts for around 50% of the total cost of a brand-new aircraft.

At this stage, with two of the three tasks completed, we have spent quite a lot more than it would have cost to do the same job with some nice new off-the-shelf F/A-18s or F-15s from Boeing. (Yes, we didn't have to build all-new aircraft, but we had to do a lot of refurbishment and mess around redesigning the air intakes to suit the new engines and then custom design and custom fit a brand-new electronic fit-out into an airframe that was designed in 1961.)

Now you need to make the F-111s less visible on radar. You do this by throwing away the aeroplane and designing a new one.

Short answer: buy an F-35 instead. Or, if you need it now and can't afford to wait until the F-35 is properly sorted and more reasonably priced, buy an F/A-18F. You could get an F-15, a Typhoon, a Rafale, or an F-15 instead, but the F-18E/F is the pick of the bunch. It's bigger than the European pair ( = more range, better radar), very reliable and easy to maintain, and quite a lot newer than the F-15. Note that it is NOT a slightly modified F/A-18 classic, it's a whole new design with only a handful of shared parts, and it was called "F/A-18E" instead of having a new number simply because they needed a way to pretend to Congress that it wasn't a new aircraft at all, only an upgrade - "just a new head and a new handle, but same old axe, honest mum".)

Chewy509 I do believe that the current Gen5 aircraft under development (eg The F-22, F-35, PAK-FA T-50) will be the last to have pilots in them.

They said the exact same thing about the English Electric Lightning, the Mirage III, and the Lockheed F-104 back in 1958. One day it will be true, but people have been born, grown old, and died since they first started saying that.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
They said the exact same thing about the English Electric Lightning, the Mirage III, and the Lockheed F-104 back in 1958. One day it will be true, but people have been born, grown old, and died since they first started saying that.
I know they did, but looking at the rapid development of UAVs, and the realisation that the F-22/F-35/PAK-FA will have retirements in the mid 2040-50's, that leads to a higher possibility of the above statement becoming true. (There is a part of me, that wishes that the F-22/F-35/PAK-FA, will NOT be the last to be piloted).

But as an aviation enthusiast (with no money), I surely hope that our children and their children all learn to enjoy the actual craft of flying, rather than doing it from their armchair. (ala playing tennis on the Wii, rather than going out to a real tennis court).

and my guess is that it might not replace the Harrier/AV-8 either,
So if not to replace the AV-8/Harrier, why are they pursuing the VTOL version then?

Last edited by a moderator: