iTunes for PC

Adcadet

Storage Freak
anybody else playing around with iTunes on a PC? On my machine it seems to use more CPU cycles than Winamp 3, and it's not as responsive. But I do like that I can create "song lists" on the left for every folder (I sort MP3s into folders by artist). Haven't found a way to do this in Winamp.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Has anyone else tried the Winamp 5 beta? It's built off the Winamp 2.X code base, but has a new media library, which makes it easier to organize and create playlists for your files. It also supports ripping CDs to AAC, but ripping to MP3 will only be available in the future Pro version, which will cost money. I've been using it for a little while, and I like it so far.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, AAC is a lossy, DRM-encumbered format that's not well supported by er... anything but iTunes, but the fact that it's based on WinAmp 2 warms my heart.

Most of the cool WinAmp plugins are for v2 and were not ported to v3 (e.g. Milkdrop). WinAmp 3 was in my experience not terribly stable, either.

I guess the answer for the forseeable future will be to stick with Winamp 2 and/or Media Player 7. Or Media Player Classic.

The newer products all seem to have too many drawbacks to actually install.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
SteveC said:
Has anyone else tried the Winamp 5 beta?
Yep.

The v5's modern skin has a pretty large footprint in memory (even more then v3's). It seems to fluctuate between 9-17MB. Using the classic skin with v5 drops that mem useage to a much more reasonable 2-6MB range. For comparison, Version 3 seems to take the middle ground, using amounts somewhere in between 6-12MB.

Turning to loading times, my highly sciencetific test results (involving me counting in my head) show that, on my platform, v5 outfitted in the modern skin loads up and is ready to roll in ~2seconds. Alternatively, employing v5 with the classic winamp skin yeilds an ~.5second load time. Even with v5's modern skin, there is a marked improvement over version 3's pathetic loading time. Proof in the pudding that much of version 5 is based on the older, but snappier, version 2.

I thought the colour schemes with the modern skin were nice, but they are a feature that won't get much use out of me. Namely because the modern skin doesn't quite display everything I would want shown in my prefered winamp configuration....I use winamp in its thin bar mode and place it, along with an attached thin bar playlist, at the top of the screen. In such a manner, I get all the controls, info, and visual effects (eq) that I desire for 99% of my operational use/needs. With the modern skin, there doesn't appear to be any way to display the eq spectrum when in thin bar mode. Plus, by default, it is considerably larger then the classic skin's thin bar mode. Scaling is available, but that just ends up making the text fuzzy.

Sonically, winamp 5 seems (to me) to be a tad better. I don't know if this perception is due to actual improvements in fidelity or if its just a slight boast in the default play back sound level that they've given it. Anyone else think it sounds better?

CK

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Doesn't seem to make a difference to me. At least, not with the default plug-ins.

I did my listening through Soundstorm-encoded output to a home theater though, and who knows what tricks nvidia pulls to massage stereo sound into Dolby Digital 5.1 (it sounds good though. Better than DPL2 or Neo:6)?

I like the media library. Very handy.

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
I've been running it at home for a couple of weeks - so far, so good :) It's a major improvement on v3 in terms of load time and responsiveness, and my assembled collection of skins all work happily. I'll certainly be getting the final release when it comes out.

GM

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
me said:
Sonically, winamp 5 seems (to me) to be a tad better. I don't know if this perception is due to actual improvements in fidelity or if its just a slight boast in the default play back sound level that they've given it.
I probably had just cleaned my ears that day :)

Anyways, Winamp 5 RC2 is now out.

I've also being playing around with Foobar2000. Its developed by a former winamp developer. Nice small footprint. Lots of formats supported.

CK

Handruin

Administrator
I just D/L'ed foobar2000 lite and it works good. Like you said, nice small footprint. Thanks for mentioning it.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Do any of these music services allow you to (1) purchase songs in mp3 format and (2) play them in your own player (e.g., Winamp)? I tried puretracks.com and find that their songs are only in WMA format and you have to use WMP 7+ to play them. I heard MusicMatch only allows you to use the MusicMatch jukebox/player thingy. iTunes obviously requires the use of iTunes. Is there nothing that will let you use Winamp with mp3 encoded content? :evil: