Knives

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi,

I'll probably be making a short business trip to Colorado and Texas in March.
I'm pretty tempted to buy a Mission Knives MPT and / or MPF in Titanium when I'm there.
Any good recommendations on where to buy them from ?
Probably easiest just to buy them online and have them sent to the hotel?

PS Anyone live near Boulder or Dallas?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Most online stores do not ship to hotels, only a residence or verified CC address.

Unless there is something special about a hotel, it is a business, correct? If then, most online stores will ship to a business address, yes?

What most will not do is ship to a P.O. Box. But then again, maybe it is different for knives. Lots of internet knife forums, I think there is a subforum on candlepowerforums.com for that as many CPF members are also knife collectors, but I know there are guns/knife forums you could ask that question on and get a good answer to.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There is frequent CC fraud and stores may not ship to a hotel since the CC holder is not registered at that address. Of course it depends on the type of item. I'm not an expert at knives, whether used for killing or for carving turkeys. It is not too difficult to have a $120 sweater shipped to another address as a gift, but try to get a $120 replacement battery shipped to a hotel in the middle of the desert and see how easy that is. :( I strongly suggest calling the vendor to determine options. As well, if your plans change or the vendor proves to be unreliable the package may arrive at the hotel after your departure.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Thanks fellas. I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer, but they haven't answered yet. I'll wait and see for a few days more, before checking out some of the shops.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The vast majority of US based online stores will only accept a US issued credit card. The reason is usually because the US cards will work with the address verification system which cuts down on fraud.

Strangely enough most other countries banks won't disclose such information. Some nonsense about privacy.....

If you don't have a US issued card then the best bet would be to transfer funds to someone in the US for them to buy on your behalf, and then they can ship to any location via USPS.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I've been in contact with the manufacturer, great folks there. I't looks like I'll be able to do my business directly with them.

Candlepowerforums, great place, it got me excited about getting a proper led light ( I always carry some sort of flashlight+knife+whatnot with me), just need some more time to browse the forums to see what has the proper quality / price ratio.

Thanks!

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Just as a matter of interest, what kind of knife can you carry (legally?) in Finland? Is there any restriction based on blade length etc?

Wavemaker

What is this storage?
The JoJo said:
I'm pretty tempted to buy a Mission Knives MPT and / or MPF in Titanium...

From what I gather, those are some rather expensive knives.

2faces.jpg

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Just as a matter of interest, what kind of knife can you carry (legally?) in Finland? Is there any restriction based on blade length etc?

Hi, sorry for the late answer. On public places you are not allowed to carry any guns or knives or anything harmful without a good reason, and a good reason being that the utility is part of some show or official use. On the other hand, many people carry a pocket knife / leatherman with them quite often, I guess it depends a bit on the situation what the police would say about that.

Then when going to the woods etc, then no restrictions...

What's the law in the US?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Laws vary widely from state to state. In NY State, there is no maximum blade length, however these types of knives are prohibited:

gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, "Kung Fu star"

In NYC there is a 4" max blade limit.

Concealed carry pistol permits are available in NY State, however they are not valid in NYC, where you basically have to have political connections to get a permit and carry concealed.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
"Kung Fu star"? If they know the name of a ballistic knife (which I had to look up just now), why don't thy know that throwing stars are called shuriken?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Presumably they are more concerned that the public understands the common name of the weapon, than using the proper name.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Ninja Star or Throwing Star would be more appropriate. I've never heard them called Kung Fu stars. Probably because it's totally wrong. For one, shuriken are Japanese; Kung Fu is Chinese.

Well, it's all Asian, so I guess they're close enough. :rolleyes: