Labeling CD's/DVD's with a printer, rather then a sharpie...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi

I'm wondering if someone has a no nonsense, easy to use printer for direct labeling of CD's/DVD's that look neat, rather then sharpied?

Also, is it hard to find inkjet printable CD/DVD's?

Does anyone make a laser printer that will direct label to CD's?

Color is not very important on this one, just readable labels.

Thanks

GS

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Several inkjets can print directly onto a printable CD/DVD.

However, if you aren't doing many, you may want to look at just printing labels with a printer (lasers included), then applying them with a centering device. The kits are cheap, and then you can use the media of your choice.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
My wife (who works for Canon) has had a succession of printers that print CD labels. All of the Pixma range do it.

The included utility (on the printer driver disk) is easy to use. Place CD in tray, place tray in slot—much like using the straight paper/card path on a laser—print! I initially thought the idea of printable CD's was a wank, but after using it, I think it is a great idea. Here in the Antipodes, printable DVD's and CD's are available everywhere, your favourite brands, and at no price premium. It does make it easier to find CD's/DVD's.

The usual caveats about inkjets/running costs apply.

Stereodude

Not really a
LiamC said:
My wife (who works for Canon) has had a succession of printers that print CD labels. All of the Pixma range do it.

The included utility (on the printer driver disk) is easy to use. Place CD in tray, place tray in slot—much like using the straight paper/card path on a laser—print! I initially thought the idea of printable CD's was a wank, but after using it, I think it is a great idea. Here in the Antipodes, printable DVD's and CD's are available everywhere, your favourite brands, and at no price premium. It does make it easier to find CD's/DVD's.

The usual caveats about inkjets/running costs apply.
Only if you buy a Canon outside of the US.

For those of use who buy Canon's in the US and would like to print on CD/DVDs, see this site. http://pixma.webpal.info/

I fixed my iP5000 and it works great with my homemade CD/DVD tray.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, I got started on this because I saw the CW-75 Casio, for around 100 bucks. After reading reviews, it appears it pretty much sucks.

Likewise the Prima ZL-1, though it appears to do what I'm after, just black lettering on cds, it's reviews are not real favorable, and, it's firesale prices a bit scary. Wonder if they are going under, or discontinuing this model?

Anybody used the CW-50???

It appears I have a question, and not many of the answers are good.

Maybe plastic 12 point stencils and sharpies are looking better all the time?

s

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I just remember seeing them one of the last times I bought blank media there.

I thought they were a cool idea, but have never even read a review on them.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
Groltz said:

Those are slick. Have you tried any of the afforadable ones?

Well, I'm going to give the Prima Z1 a try, and hope I get one that doesn't fall apart, in the first couple months.

Also great source for DVD's, ordered the Taiyo Uden's and some of the Yellow
Prodisk to see if they work.

Let you know, when it arrives.

GS