Laptop 7200 price drop:? Why?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
Just noticed the prices for 7200 rpm drives are now nearly half, or, in otherwords, worth considering, at this point. Why did it happen, and, any suggestions, market trends, etc.?

Thanks

Greg

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I don't understand the question; The process where drives increase capacity and decrease price has been going on since the beginnng. I remember my first HD a 45MB rodine at aprox $3000 and I was amazed when the priced dropped and capacity increased to one dollar a MB for 650MB drives; Then it was a dollar a GB and now you can get some drives for 25 cents per GB...

Over time, the drive capacities increase and the price decreases. That is as it has been from the begnning...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I should have been more specific. It seemed like for a year and a half, Hitachi 7200 rpm laptop drives were stuck around 175-200 dollars. Seagates 7200s at 300. All of a sudden, they are nearly half that. I figured someone jumped in producing more, or, perhaps the companies are meeting demand?

Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio:
Is that what the thread about Seagates friends and drives is about? New product, beta testing?
;-)
Greg

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think so. I think Seagate is just trying to find buyers for high-margin products which don't have a tremendous demand in the marketplace yet.
At the same time, Seagate is also pushing ahead with improvements to their disk products; they announced a patent for nanotube-lubricant based magnetic storage technology today. Drives WILL get bigger and better, even if there's no demand for those products today.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Greg, it is not just the small drives such as 7200 RPM. All notebook drives have been dropping in price. For example the 160GB Seagate was $355 a few months ago and is now only $215. Of course price decline is a routine trend in storage history, but may be steeper in 2006 than in 2005 as perpendicular drives gain share. Somehow I have accumulated over 1TB in notebook drives.