Laser printer for work

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I'm starting another school tomorrow, and, I'm NOT going through the printer fiasco I went through at Mission San Jose, having to network print to the library, and, being at the mercy of an Apple printer older then I am, which finally broke, and, for the last couple months, no printer.

Since it's a public high school, I'm NOT spending two grand, to have it stolen, nor do I need color. I'm looking for a reasonable quality, black and white printer, laser.

Now, that USUALLY, to me, means a USED, HP 4000 series printer. They are the industry standard network printers in schools around here, and, I have one as well, and, I think it's on it's second cartridge. I think I can find them in the 350-400 range, or less.

Software for XP is ok, not perfect, for my 4000N.

Looking at this page

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&cat=2484&hierPath=84*&Browse=

does anyone see a compelling argument for not just buying another 4000?
Does anyone have another recommendation? I know a shop with Samsung 550's for something like 400?

I could also take the one I have at home to work, and buy another for the home office. If I did that, it would have to be networkable, duplex capable, and have a reasonable cost per page. Color doesn't really look like it's in the picture yet.

Thanks

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks

I just bought a Samsung 2150N, IIRC, for 269. Plus, the guys took 35 dollars off each of two Sony 19" CPD G400 flat screens. Total cost for two 19 inch monitors, 118.00. I think he felt guilty after hosing me on building the last machine...

The Samsung has a built in duplexing unit, relatively cheap toner, and, I think I can refill it, have to check. 1200 dpi, 21 pages per minute, black and white, which is what I wanted. I checked the reviews, and, they said it was about even with the 1500 dollar HP's, except for the 16 mb of ram.

The overall foot print looks a LOT like both are made in Taiwain, by the same company.

Everyone seems to agree this is a great deal, and I'm with them on that.

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Santilli said:
Thanks

I just bought a Samsung 2151N, IIRC, for 269. Plus, the guys took 35 dollars off each of two Sony 19" CPD G400 flat screens. Total cost for two 19 inch monitors, 118.00. I think he felt guilty after hosing me on building the last machine...

The Samsung has a built in duplexing unit, relatively cheap toner, and, I think I can refill it, have to check. 1200 dpi, 21 pages per minute, black and white, which is what I wanted. I checked the reviews, and, they said it was about even with the 1500 dollar HP's, except for the 16 mb of ram.

The overall foot print looks a LOT like both are made in Taiwain, by the same company.

Everyone seems to agree this is a great deal, and I'm with them on that.

GS