LCD monitor shipping

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Question for those that buy on line like from newegg or amazon: How do they ship the monitor? Do they just slap a label on it and ship it or do they rebox it?

Monitors are about the only thing I insist on buying locally because of the dead pixel and return thing so I don't know.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That's what I thought. I have one on ebay with all original packing and someone asked about reboxing for protection, sounded completely unnecessary to me but it will be insured anyway.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I don't actually get the dead pixel thing. Of all the TFT monitors we have sold in hte last three or four years, we have had exactly one return for a dead pixel (a hot pixel, actually, but near enough to the same thing). One.

Now maybe there are a hundred of our monitors out there with dead pixels that no-one had ever mentioned to us, but otherythat the one above, I've never seen or heard of any.

And that one genuine item, we tried it out, confirned that it was inded faulty, swapped it out for a replacement unit from our stock, and because it was still perfectly usable despite the fault, stuck it on the showroom computer that we use to look up prices and stuff with. For two or three days it ran just fine apart from the hot pixel, then it mysteriously fixed itself. Problem went away and never came back.

Sometimes, about once or twice a year, the sort of person who reads too much and understands little of it asks me about the manufacturer's dead pixel policy. I never know what to say, as I've not seen a dead pixel since the days of 12 inch LCDs.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I guess I have to agree Tahnin, the last three or four monitors I have bought were perfect.

BUT I simply am not going to buy a monitor from an on line store that has a policy of say 5 dead pixels before they will take it back and replace it. If I get one dead pixel near the center in the place where I work all the time that's unacceptable and I am not putting myself in a position where I could possibly be shafted on this.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's one stuck pixel on my 27" Dell. There are two on one of my 24" Dells. Most of my classroom Monitors have at least one dead or stuck pixel, and most of those monitors are less than two years old.

Oddly enough, none of my LCD TVs have any, though.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Depending on where they are I could live with it. For the past two years I have lived with some tape that was pealing off and casting a shadow from the backlight to the screen of my Samsung 204B and causing a dark yellow spot. It was all the way on the right side where the scroll bar is on apps so no biggie. I got a new monitor and risked taking this one apart and taking the stupid tape out which came off without a hitch, wish I did that a long time ago.

Happy that my new Samsung LN32A550 "monitor" is perfect though!