LED flashlights

Stereodude

Not really a
What do you think of it?
TIP
Looks okay in the 4500-4000k High CRI config, but the first ones have a problem with high current draw in lockout. There are fixed ones filtering out to sellers now, but I'm not sure how you can ensure you get the fixed one. I guess ask the seller and hope they're honest.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Looks okay in the 4500-4000k High CRI config, but the first ones have a problem with high current draw in lockout. There are fixed ones filtering out to sellers now, but I'm not sure how you can ensure you get the fixed one. I guess ask the seller and hope they're honest.

I probably ordered the wrong one. Is there a firmware version that shows in the computer?

LunarMist

Nope, no way to tell which version you have other than putting it in lockout and waiting about a week to see if it's dead or not.

Oh well. I realized that the light is damaged due to the packaging, not that I'd be inclined to return it anyway.

LunarMist

Nope, no way to tell which version you have other than putting it in lockout and waiting about a week to see if it's dead or not.

According to what I found the main difference is that in V2 of the light the red LEDs under the buttons do not illuminate in the lockup mode as compared to the old ones that do illuminate.

LunarMist

According to what I found the main difference is that in V2 of the light the red LEDs under the buttons do not illuminate in the lockup mode as compared to the old ones that do illuminate.

I received additional TIP lights, the newer ones that do not discharge in lockup mode. There is range of LED color bins used for the standard TIP with XP-G2. I found one that I like (blue with enough red, not too green) which will live in a pant sub-pocket. The others will be nice stocking stuffers as originally planned.

I have not tried the neutral Nichia TIP. I don't know why the 219B is so much dimmer than the Creed emitters. Unfortunately in this small light, I want the illumination.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Ordered a Nitecore HC90 headlamp, and a C3100 v2.2 charger. Will use the colored leds when hunting. Went with a couple of the Nitecore NL189 18650 3400mAh protected batteries.

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like a really nice headlamp. Let us know how it works out when you get it.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
So based on a days use of the HC90: http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc90

- Impressive amount of light, with a wide angle. Tint is a little on the cool side. Can't see much of a bump from 900 lumen turbo mode compared to high setting of 530. Generally just keep it at high or lower.
- Rock solid build quality. It's like a nugget of solid aluminium.
- Very good heatsinking.
- Can be used without top strap unless you are running/jogging.
- Easy to access all RGB light modes and infinitely variable white via slider switch, which can be easily operated with gloves on and one hand. The plastic slider is actually driving an internal switch mechanism via a magnet, so dirt can be washed out without affecting anything. Prob not the best option if you are regularly on the beach tho.
- 18650 battery can be charged in the headlamp via micro usb (personally I prefer faster charging at 1-2 Amps in an external charger) but could be handy for a trip where I don't want to take a battery charger with me.
- Easy quarter turn lockout of the light.

Downsides:

- Need two hands to screw in end cap when using longer protected batteries due to spring tension. Non protected can be changed with one hand.
- High price.

LunarMist

So based on a days use of the HC90: http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc90

- Impressive amount of light, with a wide angle. Tint is a little on the cool side. Can't see much of a bump from 900 lumen turbo mode compared to high setting of 530. Generally just keep it at high or lower.
- Rock solid build quality. It's like a nugget of solid aluminium.
- Very good heatsinking.
- Can be used without top strap unless you are running/jogging.
- Easy to access all RGB light modes and infinitely variable white via slider switch, which can be easily operated with gloves on and one hand. The plastic slider is actually driving an internal switch mechanism via a magnet, so dirt can be washed out without affecting anything. Prob not the best option if you are regularly on the beach tho.
- 18650 battery can be charged in the headlamp via micro usb (personally I prefer faster charging at 1-2 Amps in an external charger) but could be handy for a trip where I don't want to take a battery charger with me.
- Easy quarter turn lockout of the light.

Downsides:

- Need two hands to screw in end cap when using longer protected batteries due to spring tension. Non protected can be changed with one hand.
- High price.

I thought about that headlamp, but was turned off by the top strap as I find in similar headlamps they interfere with various hats. I didn't know they were removable. 180g is a bit much for me. I wish they would put XP-L LEDs in headlamps to give a bit more throw.

I'm waiting for the NU30 reviews to see if that is enough.

LunarMist

Is there anything new in compact 18650 flashlights this year? I'm currently using the MH20GT as the primary light.
I will be off the grid in December and some of that is in the cabins.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Your link once again goes to nowhere.

My theory is that Lunar has the page he wants to link to open in another tab, clicks the "link" icon while entering a message but simply does not copy the link into the link box?!? That, or the CIA/NSA firewall doesn't allow linking?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Belinda and I are getting rather lost. We both want head torches. (Known as "headlamps" in the America. In English-speaking countries, "headlamps" are the things on the front of cars for driving at night with.)

Mine is for camping.

(a) general camp tasks - preparing meals, putting up tents, and so on.
(b) reading

Belinda's is for when the power goes off (which happens far too often in her country location). It is for reading in bed with (what else can you do after dark with no electricity?) and for various other household tasks such as cooking. So, probably, the same one will suit both of us.

We have both standardised all our electronic gadgets to use AA batteries and won't consider any other type. I understand that good quality head torches are so efficient these days that a single AA is sufficient, though a twin AA unit would be fine if it's better. I always have spare charged AAs on hand as I use them for flash photography, radio, hand torches and lanterns, wireless trackball and keyboard, you name it. She does much the same.

We have no requirement for narrow, powerful, long-distance beams, nor do we cycle or jog.

Comfort is important.

Simplicity of operation is fairly important, and it would be nice to have either the ability to select different brightness levels or different beam widths or both, though this is not a priority. A switch that you can easily find by feel in complete darkness is always useful.

Colour matters to Belinda - she dislikes blue-tinged lights and much prefers a softer, warmer white. I don't much mind either way.

Price? We aren't going to go silly. Up to now we have been getting along with cheap commodity AAA-based units worth less than US$10. They are fiddly and awkward to use, have annoying uneven beams, and chew through those tiddly little AAAs way faster than I like. I guess we are happy enough spending around US$50 or so each, perhaps a little more.

I've been looking at Zebralights, then at a zillion alternatives, and the more different ones I look at the more confused I get!

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Looking for recommendations for something smallish that runs on a single 18650 witha really tight beam so I can illuminate house numbers when I'm driving rideshare part time on nights/weekends. I have the HC90 if needed for broader illumination. A striking bezel wouldn't go astray while I reach for the pepper spray with my other hand, in a worse case scenario that will hopefully never eventuate.

LunarMist

Looking for recommendations for something smallish that runs on a single 18650 witha really tight beam so I can illuminate house numbers when I'm driving rideshare part time on nights/weekends. I have the HC90 if needed for broader illumination. A striking bezel wouldn't go astray while I reach for the pepper spray with my other hand, in a worse case scenario that will hopefully never eventuate.

I don't like the crenelated flashlights, but look for one that has an XP-L High (a version of the XP-L emitter with no dome).
In comparison a light with the common XM-L2 emitter will have a much broader beam or require a proportionally larger reflector for the same tight beam.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I don't like the crenelated flashlights, but look for one that has an XP-L High (a version of the XP-L emitter with no dome).
In comparison a light with the common XM-L2 emitter will have a much broader beam or require a proportionally larger reflector for the same tight beam.

Thanks Lunar, looks like something like the Nitecore P10GT should do the job, or perhaps the MH25GT with the bigger head for a bit more money.

LunarMist

Thanks Lunar, looks like something like the Nitecore P10GT should do the job, or perhaps the MH25GT with the bigger head for a bit more money.

The MH20GT is better for reach than the P10GT and of course the large reflector of the MH25GT makes it a real thrower.
It looks to have the emitter/reflector of the EC4GT with single cell power. Any light with over 30,000 cd intensity will be bright at a good distance, and it goes up from there. ;)

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Still waiting for it to get dark outside but definitely a thrower in the basement. Came with a protected Nitecore 3400 mah, switched over to a Sony VTC6.

LunarMist

Still waiting for it to get dark outside but definitely a thrower in the basement. Came with a protected Nitecore 3400 mah, switched over to a Sony VTC6.

Strange. From what I gather, that Sony is an unprotected cell for the nicotine overclockers.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Yes, I got the VTC6s for future proofing, in case I one day end up with a high draw flashlight. Its only a matter of time. I also have some LG HE2s, but the VTC6 is hard to beat for 3000 mAh and high current capability for only a dollar or two more.

As for the MHGT25, it's a pocketable monster. Just staggering how it illuminates the woods and backyard. This will definitely help for my ridesharing at night, if there's a significant crowd of people waiting to be picked up I can park a little before and text/call them to walk to the beam of light going up into the sky. If a rider gets violent a dose of full to the face should dazzle them enough to pull over and get out safely. And it will definitely light up house numbers, I may have to run it in a lower power for that, as its going to crap out my night vision pretty quickly on full. The clicky rear button has a good tactile sensation, can also half press with no click for light on demand. I think only downside which has been mentioned in a few online reviews is that to get to anything other than full power mode you need to loosen the head portion from the tube by unscrewing the head a little bit. Which you will need both hands for. In the special mode you get three lower levels of brighness and then strobe and sos.

I would highy recommend at $53 if you want something relatively small that can certainly reach out to a significant distance, thanks for your recommend Lunar.

LunarMist

Yes, I got the VTC6s for future proofing, in case I one day end up with a high draw flashlight. Its only a matter of time. I also have some LG HE2s, but the VTC6 is hard to beat for 3000 mAh and high current capability for only a dollar or two more.

As for the MHGT25, it's a pocketable monster. Just staggering how it illuminates the woods and backyard. This will definitely help for my ridesharing at night, if there's a significant crowd of people waiting to be picked up I can park a little before and text/call them to walk to the beam of light going up into the sky. If a rider gets violent a dose of full to the face should dazzle them enough to pull over and get out safely. And it will definitely light up house numbers, I may have to run it in a lower power for that, as its going to crap out my night vision pretty quickly on full. The clicky rear button has a good tactile sensation, can also half press with no click for light on demand. I think only downside which has been mentioned in a few online reviews is that to get to anything other than full power mode you need to loosen the head portion from the tube by unscrewing the head a little bit. Which you will need both hands for. In the special mode you get three lower levels of brighness and then strobe and sos.

I would highy recommend at $53 if you want something relatively small that can certainly reach out to a significant distance, thanks for your recommend Lunar.

I forgot all about that light as it was not feasible to ship. I tried it out last night and was rather disappointed at the MH25GT's design compared to other Nitecore lights.
The charging is bizarre (light must be on?). The uncovering of the USB port reveals a greasy area that will pick up junk and contaminate the user. The barrel is overall rather compacted with different parts and diameters. The beam is almost as good as the EC4GT, though of course with a shorter runtime. I may leave it in one car for emergencies.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I asked Nitecore support a question via their website email form and never heard back from them. I guess they don't want my business.

LunarMist

You should ask the company you are buying from. There are numerous flashlight maniacs and of course CPF.

Last edited by a moderator:

LunarMist

The MH23 was announced. I think Nitecore is crazy putting a

Handruin

Administrator
Don't worry. He will post a link to the thing that refers to his own post. :cheese:

LunarMist

Maybe it was that CPU melting bug. :D My Hasewell E and Windows 7 are insecure.

My point is that such a large emitter actually has less throw and a 30 minute run time with the IMR cell seems ridiculous in a small light. The MH20GT is hot after extended use and the MH23 must be a burner in comparison. It probably reduces output after a while.

Handruin

Administrator
Yeah the SF server is TOTALLY running speculative code snippets to mess with your post. ;-) Go download the Intel microcode to patch your CPU.