LEDs for data comm

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
News.com story
LEDs that have been designed with communication in mind will offer sharply better performance. Research shows that white LEDs can send data at 80 megabits per second, while red and green ones, respectively, can shuttle data at 200 and 500 megabits per second.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow, I wasn't aware that LEDs could be pulsed on and off that fast, and I've been playing with LEDs for quite some time. IR LEDs operating at much slower speeds have been used for years in remotes, but those speeds mentioned are amazing.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
  • ULTRAVIOLET 275-395nm Gallium Nitride LED

I must emphasize, protect your eyeballs when using any one of these LEDs. You only get one set of eyes - and if you wreck them, you can't just go down to the local seven-eleven and buy a can of them.
    Here is one simple way you can do this:

Most sunglasses and some prescription eyeglasses have some degree of UV protection already; to determine if yours do or not, aim the LED at something that clearly fluoresces (such as those neon green & orange stickers that occasionally show up on your mail, day-glow orange price tags, or painted portions of a blacklight poster), positioning the LED so the object in front of it glows (fluoresces) brightly from the ultraviolet light. Then put the glasses between the face of the LED and the target. If the glow stops or dims dramatically, the glasses are stopping the UV and you can use them as eye protection at least for short-term use.
    However, if the glow remains or dims only slightly, look for another pair.

In any case, never look directly at the LED without eye protection - not even for a minute.

Symptoms of UV exposure may not appear immediately; they can be delayed by 30 minutes to several hours. They can include a burning or "sand in the eyes" sensation, and a hazy look around light bulbs and other bright objects. Mild cases are self-correcting within 24 to 36 hours; however if despite my warnings you still stared at the LED from close range for more than a few minutes, it might not be a bad idea to see an eye doctor and tell him you've been exposed to UVA radiation.

DISCLAIMER: I shall not be held responsible for any damage or loss of eyesight arising from your use or misuse of the information on this page. Thank you for listening.
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/