LGA 775 is teh suck

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If anyone had any reason to consider the alternative to AMD fanboy-ism, I suggest you reconsider.

I had the displeasure of assembling a coupe LGA 775 P4 560s last weekend. One went OK. The other...

well, there are 775 pins in a very small space on those boards. If one of them, someplace other than the edge of the pin-array, is bent, you will have a damned near impossible time figuring out which one it is.

Or at least, I had.

I guess that's better than having to RMA a $500 processor.

But the processor can be picked up, rotated and easily examined. That's a bit more difficult with all the motherboard that surrounds the LGA socket on a new P4.

The simple fact is, I have a motherboard that I have to RMA because there's a bent pin and I have no idea which pin it is.

And that is many, many, many kinds of stupid.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
This could become your "best friend" for working on these %$@&% LGA775-socketed abominations:

optvisor.gif

http://www.doneganoptical.com/catalog/opti/

I use a couple, each setup with different magnification factors, (you can also interchange optical elements, though that's a bit slow) to work on guitar finish, fret, and nut repair. I have occasionally used my "lower powered" OptiVisor -- of the two I own -- to check and straighten SCSI connector and microprocessor pins.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow. That does suck! How did you get stuck building those machines? I think I'll be sticking with AMD for a while. I really can't see any good reason to go Intel now or in the near future....