Library Management Software

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Hey guys, I need a little direction. I have a friend looking for software for their library, and they sent me this list of features they would like:

-enter the title & author of a book and provide a call number for that book automatically
-follows the Dewey Decimal Classification System
-contains a "checkout system"
-keeps record of which books are checked-in & checked-out (inventory feature)

It can be for Linux or Windows.
They also said something about printing out the call number . . . ?
Anyone have any idea where I should start looking?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
How big of a library? Is the collection already cataloged? Why not use the LCC instead of Dewey? Do you want or need to automate tracking (e.g. barcoding) at all?
I ask because most people would probably just make a spreadsheet if their collection is small enough and anything more than that is going to have so organizational overhead to get up and running.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Howell - rude.

Merc, not sure exactly how big their library is. I'm waiting for them to get back to me on some questions.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Depending on how big the library is, I know our local council library runs EOS by SirsiDynix, and has online check, ebook checkout support (relies on Adobe POS), web catalogue including reservations, self check-out stations (with 3M hardware), support for multiple sites, etc.

But there are heaps and heaps of options out there, all depending on the size of the collection... including FOSS solutions; http://creativelibrarian.com/library-oss/