LimeWire

Kristi

What is this storage?
My housemate recently put LimeWire on my computer, is this one of those nasty things that sends my information to people?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Kristi said:
My housemate recently put LimeWire on my computer, is this one of those nasty things that sends my information to people?

No. You're thinking of StrawberryWire or the even more sinister TuttiFruttiWire. LimeWire is harmless.

(Just kidding)

Actually this LimeWire seems to be a popular carrier of spyware, trojan-horse viruses and other parasites. Exercise caution.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
dlder.exe - An advertising trojan that is installed by Grokster (1.33), Bearshare (2.4.0b7), LimeWire (2.02), Net2Phone (unspecified versions) and KaZaA (unspecified versions). The spyware itself comes from ClickTillUWin.com. Taking the torch from even the worst advertising spyware to date, this one creates a fake Explorer executable and process to hide its activities. More information here. Some antivirus manufacturers have listed this as a virus or trojan horse: TROJ_DLDER.A.

ADP.EXE - Another spyware, distributed with LimeWire(?) and others. Appears to be an installer of Bargain Buddy (below).

BARGAINS.EXE (Bargain Buddy) - Advertising spyware installed with Net2Phone and some versions of LimeWire. Appears related to ADP.EXE above. More info at and.doxdesk.com.

--http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

Kristi

What is this storage?
Thanks for being so quick to respond. This sort of stuff is all very new to me.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Hi Kristi!

I knew you'd make it sooner or later. Or that Tannin was making you up. One way or the other.

Try hitting http://www.slyck.com for details on "clean" versions of the various filesharing packages.

Handruin

Administrator
If you decide to run adaware to clean up the spyware left around, check out Kazaa lite.

It has the same functionality of Kazaa, but without the spyware. If you do get adaware, make sure to download the latest reference file as it has an update to be compatible with kazaa lite.

Kazaa has been great for downloading a few hundred MB of car racing videos!

Kristi

What is this storage?
Nice to meet you all too. Although I feel like I know most of you already, from reading over Tannin's shoulder at lunchtime. Now that I've finally posted, I'll be back from time to time.