Linux + SBLive = no sound input via "line in" jack

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm running out of ideas on how to troubleshoot this. I don't suppose anyone here has had the misfortune of dealing with a SB Live card under Linux? Normal playback from file or CD sources works fine, but I don't hear anything if I plug in a source via the SB Live's "line in" jack. I've had no experience diagnosing audio hardware trouble under Linux, so I'm not even sure what to look at to narrow the problem down.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Hmm ... I think I figured out what's happening (not that I have a solution). This X-terminal setup I have is fantastic, but occasionally confuses the heck out of me when I try to figure out what's happening where.

myself

What is this storage?
Ok, i asked me to post a follow-up question (don't worry, this one's easier). He said it'd be too disturbing to see 3 copies of his avatars in a row.

Does anyone know of a semi-decent package for streaming audio out over a network?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
icecast. Win32 and Linux. Works great.

Thanks Mercutio. I went ahead and grabbed the icecast stuff. Everything installed ok (I think).

In order to do streaming from "live" sources (e.g. a microphone, etc.), I downloaded the "liveice" pacakge. Have you had any experience with it? It seemed to install ok, and I have it running, but darn it ... it never seems to send any data out.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Nope. I just use icecast to keep an MP3 playlist running on all my machines with speakers. That way I can wander around the apartment and hear the same piece of music without having obscenely loud volume someplace.