LiteOn DVD-ROM communism

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Just thought I'd let everyone know that new Lite On XJ-HD166S 16x DVD-ROM drives appear to be locked at 2x for DVD ripping, just like Toshiba drives. The last drive I have that does fullspeed rips was made in January. The two I got today were both made in early March, and both hover around 2x copy speeds even on pristine DVDs.

honold

Storage is cool
hacked firmware could show up soon enough - monitor cdrinfo.com :)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow, bad news indeed. Probably work if you use one of the older firmwares for the 166S (is the XJ some new designation?)

Mercutio

The only time LiteOn drives seem to make noise is if they're reading a data disc, and when you first put a disc in. Mine seem to be fairly quiet if I'm just watching a movie.

The other 16x models I have are LTD163s. They're cosmetically identical to the newer model.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:
The only time LiteOn drives seem to make noise is if they're reading a data disc, and when you first put a disc in. Mine seem to be fairly quiet if I'm just watching a movie.

The other 16x models I have are LTD163s. They're cosmetically identical to the newer model.

my ltd122 12x used to be loud even when just playing a DVD movie, upgrading to the newer firmware fixed that. I assume by slowing it down to 2x. It, however, does not affect ripping speeds.

Mercutio

Well, Nero tells me that this thing can't read a pristine DVD-R at anything more than 6.8x. That tears it. I'm sending this POS back.

After playing a bit today, I'm pretty sure this drive is a Sony. I've got a gen-u-ine Sony 48x CD-RW sitting here, a DRU500AX, a LiteOn 52x burner and this XJHD166S, and they're all essentially identical. The 52x LiteOn CD-RWs are visibly different from the 40x and 48x models I've seen (they're smaller, for one thing, and have a different faceplate.)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc: I have a 166S and it rips fine at full speed, no 2x shenanigans. But mine was probably manufactured in January or so. Looks like it is a recent thing. www.cdrlabs.com has some links in the forums to firmware revisions, dimitri is the guy to ask.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
F####ing Jebus. I was just trying to rip a rather scratched DVD, and the Sony 500A still insists on maintaining a steadfast 2x speed. The disk isn't bloody protected with CSS! Arrrghh. I would use the LiteOn 16x but the POS dies in the arse with this particular DVD.

Mercutio

I've noticed that, too. The DRU500AX isn't even particularly good as a playback device. It might as well be burner-only.