Logged In?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why does the site claim that I am online even when I'm not logged in?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It probably keeps sessions alive for a certain amount of time. 15 minutes is what I would guess.

LunarMist

No. The cookies are frequently cleared, maybe 2000-3000 times per year.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Why does the site claim that I am online even when I'm not logged in?

What do you mean by that? If what you are referring to is that after you log out, on the main forum page where it shows current/active users, your username is still shown at the bottom of the page, this is common for many forum software pkgs, not just vBul. SR's forum software reports the same way...you've never noticed in all these years???

Current/active users data is not updated in real time, don't know how often this data is updated for particular forum software and whether or not is it Admn adjustable. At any rate, Merc still has mod privileges to lurk without 'last online' data being recorded, same for Handy (or maybe it's a flaw of vBul?).

Probably has something to do with larger forums where there are hundreds logging in and logging off, such that real time updating of that info, would be a performance hit...just speculating, I know nothing...I write long posts lacking in brevity and conciseness or rationality(in his mind) that would endear me to Tannin...hehe.

LunarMist

I don't log out. However, when I revisit the page some time later I must log in although it states that I am online. I suppose this means that there is some timer that thinks I am still online even after rebooting, cleaning cookies, and disconnecting the internet.

LunarMist

This is too confusing. If I am invisible, do I know who I am? :) How do you keep all the different personalities under control?

LunarMist

Whatever happened to Gary? His website no longer exists.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
This is too confusing. If I am invisible, do I know who I am? :) How do you keep all the different personalities under control?

I am, therefore I exist? When a tree falls in the forest...what makes you think you have any control over your multiple personalities, you may only *think* you have control :p.

[*Edit], wavemaker, etc 'tis a trolls life ;)

btw, I doubt you're invisible to Handy, specially if he looks at the IP logs and you're not surfing on a wide ranging rotating proxy...though not being the best of hackers, I wouldn't know anything bout those things ;)

at least over on SR, you can still count on FS being as disingenuous as ever, and SC likely still can't get enough sex, nor the 'right' women to swallow, lol...high-class gents all the way, like umm- Madonna & Hugh Grant, lol.

LunarMist

Thanks. It does not matter that much now since I forgot many of the old passwords.

LunarMist

I have too many hard drives and make too many hardware changes not to reboot or shut down frequently. The power is cycled three times per day in normal use.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My game and bench systems are the only ones I might reboot regularly. I'm more likely to replace an entire PC than reboot one.

Yes, I'm bad about operating system updates, too.

LunarMist

Just one of my computers uses about 200W, so it is a huge power waster and creates unwanted heat.

Handruin

Administrator
I've also been keeping one of my servers offline for only times when I need it to reduce power consumption and heat.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You can also use standby. I'm not sure how much power is used when a system is on standby, but I don't think it's a ton.

The problem I have with standby is a lot of the time my systems won't go to standby even if they are set to in power management.

Handruin

Administrator
I've not tried standby on my desktops. It works fine on my laptop though. My server doesn't take that long to boot anyway, so i don't mind leaving it powered off.

LunarMist

You can also use standby. I'm not sure how much power is used when a system is on standby, but I don't think it's a ton.

The problem I have with standby is a lot of the time my systems won't go to standby even if they are set to in power management.

For some unknown reason standby does not work correctly on my system. It works for a short period, maybe a few minutes to an hour, but does not recover from standby if let in that state overnight.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My servers are usually doing stuff, and I like to have them available when I VPN in to my apartment. I find power save modes on desktops are often buggy. My stuff stays on and I pay for it. My power bill is still lower than when I owned a house.