lookihg for a text edit batch job app

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i have 2 lines of text that i want to replace with 40 lines of text in about 40 html pages. i've been unable to find a text editor that can do a mass find and replace such as i need. a find a few apps that could run a large batch job but they didn't support a large amount of text.

does anyone here know of an editor or app that can do what i need?

Handruin

Administrator
Editpad lite will do the same thing, and is free. You won't have to type it more then once. Simply do a CTRL + F and enter the text you wish to search for in the top box, and the text you want to replace in the bottom box. Select the check box that says "All open documents" and it will go through ever document you have open. (Which it conveniently tabs for you)

Download here

Handruin

Administrator
Handruin said:
Editpad lite will do the same thing, and is free. You won't have to type it more then once. Simply do a CTRL + F and enter the text you wish to search for in the top box, and the text you want to replace in the bottom box. Select the check box that says "All open documents" and it will go through ever document you have open. (Which it conveniently tabs for you)

Download here

Scroll to the bottom of the page to download this:

http://download.jgsoft.com/editpad/SetupEditPadLite.exe

Handruin

Administrator
Just an after thought...would php help you with multi page text replacement by using includes? This way you only need to edit one file and include it in 40 pages?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm .... been looking at EditPad Lite. Very impressive.

It did occur to me to do a sort of full-blown review thing in a seperate thread, but looking over the feature lists of the two, it soon became clear that it would take hours to half-do, and weeks to do properly.

The executive summary:
  • EditPad Lite is free
  • EditPlus costs $30 but does syntax highlighting (which I consider absolutely essential).
  • EditPad (full version) also does syntax highlighting and costs $40.
  • You can try out the full version of EditPlus for 30 days (and continue using it for as long as you like after that, at the cost of a single mouse-click nag message and a guilty conscience).
  • You can't try out the full version of EditPad, but the freeware EditPad Lite serves as a demo.

Tough call. Both EditPad and EditPlus have loads and loads of other features. Both are heavily customisable. EditPlus is tiny and lightning fast, they claim the same for EditPad and I don't doubt it. If I didn't already have one of them, I'd really struggle to work out which one to buy.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
thanks for the suggestion guys.

doug, i'm already using includes but unfortunately the javascript i want to used can't be used in an include :(

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Among the professional web design tools, DreamWeaver can update code across entire sites with ease.

Arachnophilia can as well and it is free. It also does the source highlighting.

- Fushigi

Handruin

Administrator
Jake the Dog said:
thanks for the suggestion guys.

doug, i'm already using includes but unfortunately the javascript i want to used can't be used in an include :(

I generally attach all my javascripts to an external file and call it in the same fashion as an external CSS file...would that work?