Looking for Powerful & (Hopefully) Quiet Northbridge Coo

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hey guys-

As several of you know, I'm running an Epox 8RDA+ (nForce2) motherboard now. I think it is pretty nice.I'd say it is very stable. It will run F@H all day long at 200Mhz FSB (400Mhz DDR memory synched & dual channel). It will hit over 3 GB/sec. reads on the RAM.

Anyway, at 200Mhz, my particular northbridge is getting very toasty. Hot enough to burn my finger w/o the Epox provided heatsink on it. My problem is if I play an intense game for about 1 hr with the case closed, the system will eventually lock. I've narrowed it down to the fact that the Epox provided HS can't handle the heat at 200mhz FSB. I've tried a number of other solutions. The Zalman northbridge cooler was a little more effective and the system would last a little longer but it would still eventually crash. Using the Zalman with a 40mm fan installed on it improved things considerably. In fact, the system did not lock for over a week with occasional UT2K3 sessions. However, one day it DID. Opening up the case revealed that the little clips may not have been enough to hold the Zalman with 40mm fan attached (maybe a bit too tall & weighty). It didn't actually fall off but it was slightly loose.

So, next I tried a Copper Vantec Iceberg. This is a really nice unit. Extremly quiet but only about 5cfm. It is simply not up to the task of cooling my nForce2 NB at 200mhz. The system will lock within 1/2 hour. It really does collect the heat though. The sink was very very warm to the touch. The problem is that this thing just can't move enough air.

So, for now, I have reinstalled the Epox NB heatsink and installed an old Blue Orb fan on top of it. This appears to be very effective and I have yet to experience any type of lock up. I'm pretty sure it is a sufficient solution but the only problem is that it is relatively loud. In fact, it is probably the loudest fan in my case because the 50mmx15mm unit is spinning at about 5,000 RPM. I tried running the Blorb fan at 7Volts. Unfortunaly, it does not move enough air over this particular heatsink and the system eventually locks during an extended UT2K3 session.

I'd like a quieter solution to cool my NB. Any ideas? Here is what I currently have:

8rda_nb_fan.jpg

Thanks,
Clocker

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Re: Looking for Powerful & (Hopefully) Quiet Northbridge

I have read where guys have swapped out the stock NB cooler for a TT Crystal Orb.

The Crystal Orb is a good chipset cooler but a bit noisy. I might recommend that you use one with a resistor or a rheostat in series with the positive lead to slow the fan down. You would want to make sure the HS bottom is flat. Almost every TT heatsink I have ever used need to be lapped flat before use.

A blowhole fan, mounted in the side of your case can make a big difference too. I mounted a 120mm Panaflo in the side of my case a couple months ago and have been impressed with how much cooler the MB temp is. The fan is located where its airstream washes over the video card, motherboard NB, and the fan for the CPU. The first fan I tried was a Vantec "Stealth" 120mm model. Next, I got my hands on a 120mm Panaflo. The Panaflo has a higher output and is still pretty quiet. It is also 38mm deep as opposed to 25mm.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Man, those *Orb fans are loud.

One of the GA7VAXPs I have had its fan go into "nutso rattle" mode. I pulled the fan and installed one my gigantic Speeze HSF combos on the CPU. On that particular HSF, air is blown down at the CPU. Air happens to be ejected from the heat sink directly onto the northbridge, which has a substantial heatsink of its own.

I don't know what you're using for a cooler, or which way air is ejected from it, but you might be able to arrange things somehow that your CPU fan could also cool your northbridge.

OTOH, it looks like nvidia is up to its usual tricks if their northbridge gets THAT hot.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
well, he is clocking it at its extremes (remember that current AMD chips only run at 166mHz maximum)...

I also agree that if you want a good, quiet solution you need to work on your case air flow/temps and put on a moderately (probably stock) heatsink/fan combination onto the north bridge.

Maybe you'll just have to compromise and run at 166mHz bus and up your multipliers Clocker...

hmm.. this reminds me... there is a new kind of fan out that works by applying torque to the edges of the fan blades (vs the center hub) this allows a decreased hub size... resulting in larger fan blades... if you can get one of these fans (i know vantec makes some) it might be able to push a bit more air. They include these fans in some of their heatsinks... don't know if they sell them in 40mm size or individually...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc & Blake-

My Vantec Aeroflow has a 70mm TMD fan (the type you referred to Blake)(see pic above). Not sure if a 40mm variety is available but I'd like to get one if I can.

One of the outlets of the HSF shoots right at the northbridge so that's cool.

I have an old 120mm and 92mm Panaflo L1A laying around. I've been thinking about punching a hole in my side panel for about a week but have not been able to get motivated for something that would take that much time. I just may have to do it I guess.

Thanks,
C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
BTW : Some of the nforce2 bridges require a lot of cooling at 200mhz. Some don't. Since this is a relatively new 'set, I'm guessing there's a lot of manufacturing variability in this.....

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess if I could find a 40mm fan that has higher output than about 7CFM (maybe 10 cfm) and could find a secure way to mount it to my mobo (need better clips) that might work. The Antec 40mm fan I have is 6.5cfm. I'll have to look for a higher performance one. Hmmmmm.

Where can I get some of those push through clips for the motherboard chipset heatsinks? I need something that is secure....

C

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Clocker said:
Some of the nforce2 bridges require a lot of cooling at 200mhz. Some don't
Out of curiosity, which boards have you read/seen that are of the "don't" variety. Are any able to hit 200, and stay stable, with passive cooling?

Cheers, CK

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
CK-

I don't think it's a question of board brand. I think some are lucky and get a cooler running NB. Some aren't and their NB is a little hotter. I'd chalk this up to variability on nVidia's part. Of couse, that's just MO.

C

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Since you have already tried several cooling systems. Why not simply replace a fan with one that has better noise characteristics and keep one of the old heat-sinks and use their attaching clips.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Mark-

The attachment clips I have are crappy and worn out. I'd like to do as you suggested, (i.e. get a better performing 40mm fan and put it on the Zalman) but I need secure clips to hold the assembly to the board.

Any ideas where I might get some nice clips?

Thanks,
C

honold

Storage is cool
i would email the guy that runs heatsinkfactory.com - he'll give you a quick, objective opinion and sell the stuff to you at a good price :)

i've bought misc cpu/case fans there, and he's always come through with good parts when i would ask about video/bridge/etc fans

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Well-

I've been looking for a reason to get a new case so when I found this nice Antec unit with window and side air intake.

http://www.antec-inc.com/en_plusviewamg.html

I could not resist for $76 after tax. I've never been much of a window person but this was one of the few cases Microcenter had w/o a PS so I decided to go with it. The window is starting to grow on me though...it is really well done. Plus, the windowed version seemed to have a better (easier breathing) side air intake. Also, it's in just about the right spot for the northbridge, but I'm going to see if I can get some duct-work to route the outside air exactly where I want it.

So far it seems like a really nice case, I must say I'm impressed. It is nice to have drive rails again and being able to put all drives (including floppies) into removable drive cages is nice. Hopefully, the acoustics of this case will be as good (or a little better than) my Fong Kai. Physically, the case is about the same size as my Fong Kai but the FK wasted a lot of drive space to make room for the big 120mm intake fan at the bottom front.

I should finish transferring the system to the new case tonight after the game and will report back.

Any ideas where I might find some duct-work for my side mounted 80mm fan?

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I had never been to Antec's site before, but it looks to me like their "Value" line of cases are essentially identical to the Compucase branded models that I purchase, only $35 more expensive.

Groltz

Clocker said:

Directron has these items for sale.

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/f353.html

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/whisperkit.html

My guess is that they would be of dubious value to your Antec case, though.

I skimmed through a review of that case over at Bjorn's if you are curious.

I sure hope you equip your case with LED cooling fans, Clocker. That would just be an overload of nifty neat-o-ness. <snicker> :wink:

BTW, I intend to put another large batch of fans up for sale later this coming week. 10 out of 11 of them are 80mm's. (Sorry, no LED fans :wink:)

~~Steve

honold

Storage is cool
Clocker said:

be careful! in typical situations you want equal air coming in the front bottom and out the rear back. throwing side fans into the equation can slightly improve localized problems, but screw your overall cooling/airflow.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think my Northbridge cooling worries are now gone. :) I'm using an old Vantec Pentuim heatsink with a Thermaltake 70mm fan fron a Volcano * (low profile, oem heatsink. See pic below. I'm not sure if I need to run that fan or not but at 7 volts it's pretty quiet so I don't mind it. While I was transferring the motherboard from the old to new case, I decided to strap this heatsink on with a tiewrap. The tiewrap goes through the motherboard holes and over top the heatsink. You can just see it in the pic.

The Antec case is pretty nice but it lets out a little more noise than my Fong Kai did. I can hear the drives a bit more. The front panel is wide open full of holes for air intake. I might just block some of them to keep some of the noise from coing out the front of the case.

THe side fan seems to really have lowered the motherboard and cpu temps a bit. Probaby by about 4C.

new_cooler.jpg

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty happy. I like the features of the new case as well as the superior cooling. I'm just going to have to figure some ways too quiet it down a little. Maybe I'll shut off one of the exhaust fans at the back or replace them with quieter units. I need a quieter CPU fan too I think....

Thanks for your help guys!
C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
After thinking about it today, I decided I'm going to take back that Antec case and move the system back into my Fong Kai

After allowing the system to run for about a day, I realized that the cooling was actually inferior to my Fong Kai AND the case was louder. I should have known that 80mm fans are just too noisey. I'm not sure if it is the pitch or the volume but they just annoy me unless they are pushing around 20cfm and I can't hear them.

I'm hoping that the big-ass heatsink I put on my northbridge will be enough and that additional case cooling is not required. If necessary, I'll just punch a hole in the side of my Fong Kai or reinstall the fan on the northbridge heatsink. We shall see I guess.

I really like my new northbridge cooler though....all I need to do is out an LED on it, right Steve? :wink:

C

Groltz

Clocker said:
all I need to do is out an LED on it, right Steve? :wink:

[Blatant Insincerity] Oh yeah, buddy. Gotta have some twinkly little lighted fans in there.[/Blatant Insincerity]

On a serious note, you did read about the concave surface of the 8RDA NB chip, right? If it isn't filled in with thermal compound you won't get good contact with your cooler. Also, check your new Iceberq for flatness. Just about every chipset cooler I have ever tried (both copper and aluminum) was pretty badly out of true. It will likely need a thorough lapping to make the bottom flat.

~~Steve

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Steve-

Yeah, I know about the concave surface. Actually, it isn't that hard to tell just buy looking at it after applying a heatsink with goop on it. I have a nice layer of arctic silver. I'm pretty sure I have good contact...I'm amazed how warm that heatsink gets when I don't have the fan running.

I'm fairly certain the iceberg had excellent contact too. Not only did I have a nice layer of AS on there but it was really warm. It probably would do the trick if it had about 10CFM rather than 5 CFM.

C