• Dell is okay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dell sucks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CraigLC

What is this storage?
Hey guys,
I will be opening a business of my own around the February time frame which requires me to have a dedicated machine. After my fun time with RAM issues (compatability) in the gaming machine I just built I am trending towards buying a machine like a Dell / SONY etc. I need a dependable machine with good tech support, It will be connected to a DSL line and its primary use will be to utilize that DSL line as well as some light word processing. It should be a P4 machine with a gig of RAM and on board video and sound would be just fine. I will also need the capability to burn CD /RW but dont need DVD playback

It will be running:
winxp
quickbooks
Microsoft office basic
and will be connected to a Cannon printer/fax/copier/ combo machine.

I think I have settled on
Dell Dimension 4700 Series:
Pentium® 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB)

I have this badboy optioned the way I want for $1,315 (w 17" flat panel LCD)CNET rates this machine well among its peers and Dells pricing tends to be better then most. Anyone know of any better options or reasons why I shouldn't go Dell?

Thanks

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Get the gold warranty if you want support to not suck. Dell desktops are adequate; we use them here at work. Can't say I like them that much as they still tend to favor proprietary case designs & BIOSes. But they seem to work OK.

3.2GHz & 1GB RAM to surf, do light word processing & QuickBooks? Seriously? I'd drop the CPU & RAM a notch each and upgrade to a 19" LCD if I were you. I'd also get a DVD burner instead of CD-RW as it gives you a viable device to do backups with and you can still burn CDs.

If I might ask, why the Intel fetish?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
From the perspective of what I build in comparison to a Dell system (which is the only perspective), they suck. Proprietary components have no place in a decent computer system.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Dell Small Business->Servers->PowerEdge->SC420.

If you can live with integrated video you can't beat the price. And there's PCI-Express if you want to add your own vid card.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually right now it's not so hot, wait till it hits the $300-350 mark with the P4. Last week they had free upgrade to 1GB ram, 200 instant off etc.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Buying a Dell absolutely does not prevent you from having weirdo compatibility issues. You buy premium-grade low-latency solid-gold DIMMs that don't work in your Dell... if you call them and ask about it they'll say you should have purchased their 3x retail-cost Dell-brand RAM upgrades.

And under no circumstances buy a Sony desktop.

Who makes GOOD business machines?

Toshiba does. Desktops only - their laptops suck hard.
IBM does.
Apple does.
I'd even take Gateway over Dell at this point, and past that I would not even consider anything else.

Yes, I hear you saying that Apple doesn't make Windows PCs, but who cares? They run Office and Quickbooks!

CraigLC

What is this storage?
Now Buck.... don't hold back! tell us how you really feel! :lol:

As for the processor I just want this thing to be viable for a long time. I have always tried to buy the second to top range (or thereabouts) processor. A gig of ram is pretty standard for most decent machines and while I have never used quick books I do know that office tends to like machines with more ram. I will take into consideration about the 19" though. I just bought a 19" SONY LCD and I love it! I had been using a 17" CRT.

The machine will be running a web based app which is fairly simple. I probably could be fine with 512mb. I am getting on board video though(no need for sweet graphics) and it says up to 128mb may be allocated for video. :-?

I guess the real deciding factor as far as build or buy... I dont think I can build it any cheaper then buying the DELL. I am capable of building one...as is evidenced by me using it right now....just that I dont think I could do better on pricing and with you fine folks as my only tech support LOL. You all have lives and cant be at my beck and call after all.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree with Merc, Sony desktop systems suck! If you like spending lots of money on stuff that a typical business doesn't need, then buy an Apple . . . have some class. I can't believe business people purchase these high-priced Sony systems that are overburdened with audio and video software that they don't need and won't ever use.

CraigLC said:
Now Buck.... don't hold back! tell us how you really feel!
:wink:

Oh, and Craig, my heart and spleen thank you for not including HP in your roundup of choice.

As far as the type of system you should build, the thread Stantilli started has some good advice.

PS: All of the basic business stuff you plan on running on this new system I currently run on an Athlon 1400C (plus I use photo editing software and web development tools) without any problems or slowness.

Handruin

Administrator
Pradeep said:
Dell Small Business->Servers->PowerEdge->SC420.

If you can live with integrated video you can't beat the price. And there's PCI-Express if you want to add your own vid card.

I just ordered this system for $249 (+$10 for 80GB hard drive) and it has 512MB ram. I'll let you know what I think of it when it gets here. I plan to use it as a Linux playground. The Celeron CPU was fine for my needs. I wanted the cheapest machine I could find with a reasonable setup. I could have gotten the 2.8 P4 for another $99, but I didn't want to spend any more.

Craig, you could also look into alienware, falcon northwest, or even voodoo pc, but they'll cost a small fortune. For a semi-server higher end work station, you may want to look into the Dell Precision work stations. We use these at work, and I've had good results so far. My pc at work is a dual P4 Xeon 2.8 GHz with 1GB ram and it rocks. You mentioned a web based app, I’m not sure if you plan on serving something. If not, the Dell precision and the other companies I mentioned are way overkill for your needs.

You might want to consider a machine capable of dual monitors. I’ve converted to dual monitors and it truly does help productivity.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'd second the vote for dual monitors. Heck, if my desk would hold more I'd try for 3 or 4. :D You can never have too much screen real estate.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I ordered myself one of these. I've convinced work that we need 20" panels for more productivity, now it's a matter of choosing between the 4:3 2001FP or the 16:10 2005.

320-4111.jpg

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I dislike the Dell 420's as a basic machine. First, and formost they come with a x8 PCI-e capability using a x16 slot with no AGP port and no sound. The problem is that their x16 connector has a tab inserted to allow x8 cards to be edge supported.

To make any modern video card work on that machine will require a HW modification of removing a tab on the x16 connector (Hey, at least they have one) to make it fit. Thus you are stuck with the Intel imbeddied video unless you want to void their warrentee. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk!

The no sound capability is forgivable in a server. But a general business machine should at least have primative onboard sound rather than requiring people to buy a sound card.

All in All I much prefered the SC400's over the SC420's.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
As a buy-it-and-forget-it, Dells are fine. Just make sure that you buy from the small business, not home, side.

Of course, with a little bit of effort, you can build a machine for less.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Anything but a Dell. Dell= proprietarty hardware, propietary software, shitty support from Bangladesh, not easliy upgraded or changed: You don't even get a Windows disk, just a restore disk with a lot of crap on it. Try doing a Windows repair with that.

Build your own. At least that way you'll have a Real P4 instead of a P4 Celery.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Hardware, go dell or somebody merc recommended for the support.
Software, make sure to wipe the machine once you get it.
Fresh install of whatever OS you put on it.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep said:
I ordered myself one of these. I've convinced work that we need 20" panels for more productivity, now it's a matter of choosing between the 4:3 2001FP or the 16:10 2005.

320-4111.jpg

'deep-
I'm thinking about that choice too but I'm not sure how to make a decision. What are your thoughts? I think the 2005 has 16ms response time IIRC. Maybe you could PM me so that we don't take this thread too far off topic?

Thanks,

C

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Handruin said:
Dell is offering a free LCD if you buy their Precision work station.

Interesting. Tho they were selling the Precision 470 on special at that spec without monitor for close to $1000 last week. Still not bad.