Lots of Snow

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'd rather see some graphs and a written explanation of the data. 12 minutes is a joke to present so little data.
The main question I have is how often do you switch the tires? The weather forecast must be key, but unless you have a truck to haul tires back and forth from a shop or equipment at home isn't it a PITA each time. :eek:

Handruin

Administrator
I change tires once in the late fall (usually mid November) and once in the spring (late March/April). I have a basic hydraulic jack and jack stands along with a 1/2 drive breaker bare and a torque wrench. The changing of tires maybe takes me 45-60 minutes.

Stereodude

Not really a
I can do it in a little under 1 hour as well. I don't bother with the jack stands for tire changing since I'm not getting under the car.

I just got this, which might aid the process a bit next time.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't lower the car onto the jack stands for each wheel, I put them under the car in case the hydraulic jack leaks so that it doesn't rest on the rotors.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree I should have used them and know they are a thing with the S4 but feel like I already did the damage.

Stereodude

Not really a
I agree I should have used them and know they are a thing with the S4 but feel like I already did the damage.
I expect it will probably only get worse over time continuing to jack the car without one. Depending on how long you plan to have the car it may not matter though.

LunarMist

They don't design cars nowadays to be jacked around a couple times per year?

LunarMist

There was some snow today, but the Mini-Van was not a problem. The engine moved over 600 miles in 48 hours, but the rental was unlimited. ;)

Stereodude

Not really a
They don't design cars nowadays to be jacked around a couple times per year?
Yes, with a jack that holds the car correctly. A flat pad on a pinch weld is not the correct way.
There was some snow today, but the Mini-Van was not a problem. The engine moved over 600 miles in 48 hours, but the rental was unlimited. ;)
What about the rest of the "Mini-Van"? Was it left behind?

LunarMist

What do you mean by left behind? There were no collisions, so the Mini-Van was all in one piece. ;)
The three Americans stayed with the vehicle. The Asians and Euros were left behind as planned.

Handruin

Administrator
The head of my jack isn't flat, it does have grooves in it. They just may not be the correct width for the pinch weld, but I do typically try to align it to the weld before jacking up the car.

Stereodude

Not really a
The head of my jack isn't flat, it does have grooves in it. They just may not be the correct width for the pinch weld, but I do typically try to align it to the weld before jacking up the car.
Mine just as a round rubber pad in a metal cup. There's no channel for the pinch weld. Now I have an aluminum adapter that I set on the rubber pad.

LunarMist

Yes, with a jack that holds the car correctly. A flat pad on a pinch weld is not the correct way.

Are there no other support areas under the car for the purpose of lifting it? How do you work on the car for various repairs, such as the transmission?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
Are there no other support areas under the car for the purpose of lifting it?[
I'm sure there are probably some other safe areas that can be used as alternate jacking points, but there are a few marked spots on the pinch weld that are the primary.

How do you work on the car for various repairs, such as the transmission?
Hopefully I'll never have to find out. However, it is an Audi. Ease of repair doesn't seem to be a key design concern. For example, the timing chain is on the back of the engine (on the firewall side). Most engine work starts with removing the front of the car (front bumper facia and the metal structure behind it). The generation Handy and I have is better than the prior ones on terms of engine accessibility. You can do some things on the front of the engine without removing the front of the car. The prior generations required that removal step for pretty much anything on the front of the engine.

LunarMist

I suppose that modern vehicles are mostly designed by and for the robots, not the normal users. :(

Stereodude

Not really a
I suppose that modern vehicles are mostly designed by and for the robots, not the normal users. :(
Less and less people repair their own cars, so the emphasis is on a clean looking engine compartment when you pop the hood and exterior styling instead of an easy to work on car.

LunarMist

Who looks under the hood of a normal production vehicle if it is working right? Maybe people need to add the wiper fluid once in a while. Typically it would only be for some special kinds of fancy or modified cars or when buying a used vehicle. When I get a rental car, I don't look under the hood. I look at the condition of the tyres. ;) Everything is so crammed into the cars now, you cannot see much anyways.

The styles are mostly really ugly, but that is based on market research and the Milleniums. I liked the old days when you could order all the options on most cars.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
My sister is getting some snow ❄ now in the Akron, Ohio area; it may not "stick", but it's going down below freezing overnight.

Parts of New England may get 6" of snow for Mothers' Day. ☃⛷