Mail in Rebates and accounting

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
So last night when I was cleaning up a bunch of junk I found a piece of paper that was the instruction sheet and warranty info for a cheap stick of PC133 that I had bought at Staples back in '99. Just scanning the sheet I noticed that it was a lifetime warrenty on the module, but in order to make a warrenty claim you must accompany the defective model with the original purchase receipt. I found that funny as I distinctly remember having to send in the original reciept in order to get the mail in rebate. Thinking nothing more of the matter, I chucked the piece of paper in the recycling bin.

Then today, out of the blue, it struck me that a lot of financial statement/reporting shennigans could be pulled off by such tactics. A quick google search didn't net me anything on the subject, but that's not to say it hasn't been addressed before.

As I'm no longer in the habbit of going for mail-in-rebates, I'm curious whether it is common practice for the refunding company to request the original receipt?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Some still do. BestBuy prints you off special mail in receipts for this purpose so you can hold on to one master receipt.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
As I rarely walk into a store to buy things, I can usually print up as many "original" receipts as I wish....