Mail order clothing

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm looking at US mail order clothing firms, initially to buy wool trousers - which are proving problematic to source here in my somewhat stout sizing. ;)

International shipping is a must. So far, I've found L.L.Bean and J.Crew. But I don't know anything at all about the quality of their products etc, so I'm hoping that someone here does ...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Both of those stores are fine. LL Bean is pretty averagely priced. J Crew is more expensive for maybe a little nicer stuff.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's an outlet mall not too far from where I live. J Crew definitely tries to frame itself as more upscale but they're both sort of "preppy" brands.

Wool slacks are a pain in the ass and you have my sympathies for having to wear them, time. I have one pair of Van Heusen wool pants and I've just left them hanging in my bathroom since I got them since wrinkles appear to be generated in a continuous, spontaneous fashion.

Handruin

Administrator
L.L. Bean has always stood behind their products and has been around a long time with a well-known name (at least on the east coast of the US). I've been to their outlet in the state of Maine and it's a decent place. My understanding is that they take back any of their products that have failed or have not fulfilled your expectations and will replace them...even if you wear it for 10 years. I'm not sure how that works internationally though. I've bought a few things from them over the years with no issue.
http://www.llbean.com/customerService/aboutLLBean/guarantee.html

As for J.Crew, I know the name but I don't think I've ever shopped there. Not because there is anything wrong with them, I just...don't really know why I haven't shopped there.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As for J.Crew, I know the name but I don't think I've ever shopped there. Not because there is anything wrong with them, I just...don't really know why I haven't shopped there.

I'm 10 miles from an outlet mall with J Crew, LL Bean, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger and about a dozen other clothiers. My reaction to almost all of that stuff when I walk in to those places is "These are not what I want to wear."

LL Bean stuff is at least well made. I can't comment on J Crew because I don't own anything with that branding.

Most of my clothes come from resale shops and thrift stores though.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I've had good luck with land's end but I have to admit that it has been a very long time (10+ years?) since I have ordered anything from them. I also know that they were bought out by Sears during that time and know nothing about how that affected them.

ddrueding

Fixture
People get into a rut. Take a girlfriend that you trust and let her decide your new look...

My trick when I was single was to go into the perfume section and convince one of the employees to assist me. Kinda sounds weird now, but it worked great when I was 22 :/

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have bought clothing from LLBean. But not in the last few years. Excellent quality. Woolrich is another quality company. You could also try Filson.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have had clothes from ll bean. Both companies have clothes on par with the gap or banana republic in quality of materials as opposed to old navy. All similar styles.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I buy some thing online, but not pants. Sizing in the US is all over the place. Underwear and socks are

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I buy some thing online, but not pants. Sizing in the US is all over the place. Underwear and socks are

This is actually the exact situation buying online is made for. Once you know your preferred size and model for a particular manufacturer you don't even have the inconvenience of going into the store.