Major IE Security Patch

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The rest of us will be pointing and laughing at the IE users while y'all are busy downloading.

That's at least the third time this year IE's needed a major patch. That's pretty bad for a company that's supposedly re-focussed on security.

cquinn

What is this storage?
catch-22...

If they refocus on security and release no patches, people would say
they are still lax on security. However, if they do start releasing patches,
people will parade that in front of them as meaning they are still lax
on security.

Handruin

Administrator
It is roughly 8 hours later and it's at 75% downloaded. :roll:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
How many updates are you downloading? I thought you had a 'broadband' connection, Handruin...?

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
cquinn said:
catch-22...

If they refocus on security and release no patches, people would say
they are still lax on security. However, if they do start releasing patches,
people will parade that in front of them as meaning they are still lax
on security.

Well, yeah. I will. And in a year, when IE is on its EIGHTH major security update, and Microsoft is still saying they're committed to security, it'll be even funnier. The truth is, anything that's as bad as IE, Outlook, IIS or OE (as I sit here finding 350 copies of W32.klez on the PC I'm working on, along with a half-dozen other mailbombs), shouldn't have made it out the door to begin with. After three major security updates in six months, one really wonders which oriface Microsoft's programmers and QA people had their thumbs stuck up.

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
How many updates are you downloading? I thought you had a 'broadband' connection, Handruin...?

C

I do have broadband, and it is typically fast. I think it is microsoft's slow servers. I was only downloading that security fix you listed. I bet that everyone with XP starts to download the fix and their server load can't handle the traffic.