Manual install of VMWare tools.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I am trying to install VMWare tools on an XP guest operating system that has no internet connection. I am using Windows 7 as the host running Player 4.0.
I downloaded (from a different computer) the tools files from here, but they are '.exe' files. Player is looking for '.iso' files.
Running the '.exe' files does nothing.
I also used Player 4 to download(from a different computer) the tools files, but those files showed up like 'F1E60AD5' with no extension. Opening the file with 7Zip just shows another '.exe' file.
Of course, the tools for Windows did not download anyway. Just versions for Linux.
Google search seems a waste of time. A bazillion links to install on Linux, but the ones for Windows tell you how to install Tools using the built in GUI.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Normally you load the tools iso included with the host OS and the guest installs off "cd".

The shortcut VM>vm ware tools does this for you.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't think i have done anything other than tell player to install the tools on the guest os. At that time it just attaches what I think I remember is a cdrom as far as the guest can tell that has the tools on it, which autoruns to launch the tools installer.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
All I get when I try the 'Normal' way, is a box telling me there is no internet connection, then the installer dies.

Handruin

Administrator
This reference suggests you cannot install the tools using VMware player without having an internet connection.

Maybe this guide can offer some help?

If you're truly stuck, can you install the demo for VMware workstation and get the tools installed that way and then uninstall workstation once you've finished?