mATX Rebuild

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Here is a PCIe 3.0 x1 card to supply 7 USB 3.0 ports and here is one that supports 5Gbps USB 3.2.
If you're dead set on getting external access to a high speed interface, you might need to look at a thunderbolt adapter + dock instead.
Thanks, but where are you seeing PCIe 3.0.

In the specs it is 2.0

Product ID: PEXUSB3S7

• Extend your system capabilities by adding 7 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports – 6 external and 1 internal – to any PCIe compatible computer
  • Unique dual-profile design fits standard and low-profile computers
  • Enjoy fast file transfers with USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5Gbps) and UASP support
  • Backward compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.x devices
  • SATA power connector with up to 900mA per port for high-power USB devices
  • PCIe x1 interface compliant with PCI Express 2.0 specifications

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have 18 tabs open looking at different products right now, LM. I am looking.
Do you have a 4x or larger slot you aren't using?

LunarMist

After reading up on the chipsets I surmise that the 1x lane cards use PCIe 2.x controllers and the PCIe 3.0 controllers use 2x lanes, so they are packaged as 4x cards. The video card will take the first two slots. The other two are 16x and 1x occupied by 10GbE and 1GbE NICs. Before assing the video card those two slots have USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 of various kinds. The rear panel has only 6x USB altogether.
I have also seen a card with GbE and USB, but it requires eternal Molex power and I'm concerned could destroy the system if defective.

LunarMist

I was able to obtain a 1x PCIe card that combines NIC and 3 USB ports, which worked immediately. It turned out that only two USB 2.0 and one 3.0 from the E port were inhabiting the two slot spaces, so that is not an issue.

However, the disaster is that I cannot close the case lid with the RTX 4060 video card installed because the PCIe 8-pin power sticks up too far. :eek:
I'm already about $750 into this "minor" upgrade and rather freaking out with Christmas on Monday. :(

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
However, the disaster is that I cannot close the case lid with the RTX 4060 video card installed because the PCIe 8-pin power sticks up too far. :eek:
I was going to recommend cablemod for right angle adapters, but they are not currently doing 8pin/6pin PCIe adapters but only 12VHPWR at the moment... apparently 8pin are on there way...

LunarMist

It appears those have been recalled, but it is a good idea. Amazon has several.

LunarMist

Despite some tragic reviews about the 8-pin U connectors failing due to crappy wiring and melting the GPU sockets, it works fine. 115W is not very much compared to most cards. The free clearance of the case lid is ~2mm and it makes some contact under load, but should be stable.