Mcaffee pulls ahead in race to suck

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's not the false positives that make Mcafee a problem, it's the viruses it fails to clean up. For example:

5: Apple Quicktime
4: Limewire
3: Kodak camera software
2: Norton productss
1: Mcafee products

If Mcafee could remove the items listed above, I'd buy a copy!

Stereodude

Not really a
Tannin said:
It's not the false positives that make Mcafee a problem, it's the viruses it fails to clean up. For example:

5: Apple Quicktime
4: Limewire
3: Kodak camera software
2: Norton productss
1: Mcafee products

If Mcafee could remove the items listed above, I'd buy a copy!
You left out anything Creative Labs wrote.

Sol

Storage is cool
In the current climate of distrust and paranoia (which is not necasarily wrong) about computer security I think we need to move virus and malware scanners over to a whitelist model... Everything is a virus or malicious program until proven otherwise and thus the computer is a safer place...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think I see Norton products on the list already, Bozo...

Sol said:
Everything is a virus or malicious program until proven otherwise and thus the computer is a safer place...

...Which is why the security model on Vista makes me do things like agree to yes/no prompts when I want to do something as simple as copy a file from one drive to another or run the various tools in control panel.

Sol

Storage is cool
Well I was thinking you'd take it one (or a few) step (s) further than Vista. Anything that isn't on the white list as a non-virus is deleted or quarantined as soon as it is detected no ifs and no buts as it were. If you want to keep a file not on the white list you need to get it added by your security provider, send them a copy and have them add it and when your virus scanner next updates you'll have the new white list.

Is it a lot of trouble to go to every time you want to update a word document or a configuration file... Sure, but your security and peace of mind is worth it...