Memory card for digital camera

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Does anybody have a recommendation for a memory card for my wife's new Cannon Digital Rebel XT? I was thinking 1 GB, but I have no idea which cards are fast.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
SanDisk Ultra II or the newer Extreme III are your best bet. Lexar CF cards are notorious for poor performance compared to rated speed and strange behavior/incompatibility with Canon bodies. I sold all my Lexar cards and will not buy one again. 1GB is the minimum decent size for an 8 megapixel body (about 125 frames).

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
LunarMist said:
SanDisk Ultra II or the newer Extreme III are your best bet...

Ultra II costs less than Extreme III and is faster than Extreme III.

However, Extreme III works best is frigid environments and can take a bit more mechanical abuse than other memories.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Gary,

I think you are confused. The Ultra II and Extreme cards are essentially end of life. The Extreme III is 120/133x and has replaced both the previous lines. Unfortunately it is hard to find a reader capable of 20 MB/sec.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
I believe I meant Extreme versus Ultra II (i.e. -- the write throughput speed).

I have not really kept up with what SanDisk is doing with their product line. I faintly recall reading a press release several months ago (mid-2004) about the Ultra III, but I was likely mistaken, and it was instead Extreme III. Nevertheless, I recall something or another about higher write throughput.