Messed up sound when playing Blu Rays

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I currently have this Blu Ray player and it's a piece of shit. Or the TV is a piece of shit. Or I'm a retard. I'm on the exact opposite end of the A/V knowledge spectrum as SD.

My setup: The player is plugged directly into a Vizio E420VA TV via HDMI cable. No receiver. I only have a set of Logitech 2.1 speakers plugged into the TV via the external analog audio out and they work fine when watching cable TV. TV speaker acts like a fake center channel with Logitech speakers as L and R, plus a SUB. ZERO problems with cable TV. Sounds decent.

Issue: No matter what Blu Ray disc I use it sounds: Lik e th is. Wi h drop uts ev ry 3 sec nds to 5 seco ds.

I played around with the audio settings and the stuttering went from every 3-5 seconds up to every 90-180 seconds when playing season one of Star Trek: The Next Generation. But still every 90-180 seconds the screen will go blank for 2-4 seconds with no audio.

My Big Bang Theory TV series Blu Rays I played earlier in the year had the same issue but eventually worked after I messed around with the settings but those same settings don't work with ST:TNG Blu Rays.

PCM? Bitstream? Second audio channel? Dolby? You'd think that by now the TV, Player, media would be able to broadcast what they can do and the devices would configure themselves (Plug-n-Play) so the damn thing would just work.

Supposedly the Blu Player I got was pretty decent at the time I got it but....WTF.

Any on-line guides I can follow (Do A, then B, then C, etc) to figure out my audio problems and get the f'ning thing to play correctly?

MUCH THANKS in advance.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm suspecting that the TV isn't decoding correctly, probably something to do with framerate.

If you disconnect the speakers does the TV audio sound right?

If you connect the speakers directly to the BR player does it work correctly?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm suspecting that the TV isn't decoding correctly, probably something to do with framerate.

If you disconnect the speakers does the TV audio sound right?

If you connect the speakers directly to the BR player does it work correctly?

I checked for firmware updates for Blu Ray player and it says it's up to date.

TV doesn't have an "update firmware" option. When powered on TV checks to see if an update is available, then when it's turned OFF it grabs update automatically off update server.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. The speakers in the TV are so crappy/tinny/no depth that I wouldn't want to watch a movie with just them but if I can isolate the problem I'll be happy.

I "hope" that directly connecting the speakers to the Blu Ray player doesn't solve the problem as I don't want to have to switch cables when I go back to watching cable TV.

My ST:The Original Series Blu Rays has same stuttering problem but mucking around "fixed it." I don't know what I did, but trying setting A, then B, then C, then back to A and it worked? So don't know why/what I did to get it working?

Cry. I'm my parents now. They could NEVER program/record anything off an old-school VCR and now I can't even get proper sound out of a Blu Ray player. Sad.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Try using a different HDMI cable, I had the same problem before and swapping the cable somehow fixed it.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Try using a different HDMI cable, I had the same problem before and swapping the cable somehow fixed it.

Doh. Should have thought of that myself. I'll swap the cable when I have a bit of time to mess with it. Also I plugged a CAT5 cable into my TV and turned TV ON, then OFF. Turned it back on couple house later and a box appeared on the screen saying the TV's firmware was updated. So maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks for the help.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Also I plugged a CAT5 cable into my TV and turned TV ON, then OFF. Turned it back on couple house later and a box appeared on the screen saying the TV's firmware was updated. So maybe I'll get lucky.

Now the Chinese are spying on you. :D

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Now the Chinese are spying on you. :D

Both the Blu Ray player and TV has an ethernet port for "smart-TV" bullshit, I played with it for a few minutes when I got the devices, then unplugged it and only recently re-plugged them in for firmware updates. Both unplugged now. ;)

I'll play with it more this weekend to see if I can get better results.