Microsoft Antispyware loses all legitimacy

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Microsoft has not had much legitimacy for quite a long time. It exists to make money! If it makes more $$$ by permitting spyware than not -- Then that is the position it will take.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, your post got me thinking about all the popups, thanks to AOL, and Weatherbug, on my SO's computer. So, wanting to protect her computer,
I used her AOL account, downloaded MaAfee anti-virus, and ran it.
No virus.

However, MacAfee is as good as having one. Opening control panels, opening pretty much anything, it would take between 25%-90% of avaliable processor power, and, slowed the P2 400mhz machine to a crawl.

I tried to change the priority, but, they have somehow managed to block my ability to do that.

I uninstalled the program, and the computer is back to normal, with no spyware, and no virus.

AOL offers a firewall I was going to install. However, if it works like MacAfee, I'll have to pass.

s

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Santilli said:
AOL offers a firewall I was going to install. However, if it works like MacAfee, I'll have to pass.
Try Tiny Personal Firewall V.2, Freeware, very small (tiny) footprint. It's old, and the interface isn't that snazzy, but it works quite well. I've been running it on W2KPro for years.