Mixing files from macs to PC's and networking Printer

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I've recently got my server/workstation up and running. However, I have a problem. At work we use nothing but macs.

I scan a lot of stuff using an Epson CX5200 onto the hard drives of an imac
and a G3 333 mhz.

I can burn the scans to CD, but, when I try and transfer to the PC for storage, I have to change each file name, using DataVision or whatever it's called, from Conversions Plus.

Is there a tool that can convert large numbers of mac files to pc names, so I can open them with PC applications?

Another question is connecting my HP 4000N under XP to my server.

I've been using PC Maclan to do this, using windows 2000. However, I have to use XP to take advantage of the hyperthreading feature for multiple processors. Is there a way to make the printer show up on our network, without using PC Maclan?

Thanks

gs

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
If it's a 4000N, shouldn't it have an internal network card already installed?

I would have thought that XP would allow you to install a JetDirect printer just by pointing it to the IP address the printer is using. Failing that (and this is what you used to have to do with Win9x), you can download software from HP's site that will give you the option to install a printer via JetDirect anywhere out on the network. It functions just like any other printer at that point.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
OK:
The printer does have an ethernet connection, and, it functions.
However, on a Windows setup, the printer does not appear when you do a search to install new printer.

The PC Maclan software installs sort of an apple networking language, system, like netbeui(sp) or MSFT networking.

When you click on that "tree" the printer is viewable, and you can designate the printer, and use it.

Perhaps the printer was installed with a networking card designed for the old mac os, and not a pc format?

They had two versions, and this was designated for mac use.

The problem with the mac files going to pc is even though they are photoshop files, saved with a bitmap format, I have to convert the file name, using Dataviz Conversion software. Each one is time consuming to do, since it won't do large batches...

s

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you can find the IP address of the printer (say, by printing its network configuration page):

1. Add New Printer
2. Local printer, UNcheck "detect my plug and play printer"
3. Create New Port: Local TCP/IP port
4. Type the IP Address of the printer
5. Install relevant drivers
6. Bask in enjoyment of your new network printer.

Are you using OSX, Greg? 'Cause OSX natively supports burning ISO9660+Joliet, which would cause your disc burning software to force filenames into compliance (possibly, this would mangle their names, but they'd be PC-compliant).

If you're doing OS9, you just need to find some non-retarded CD Burning software that burns ISO discs instead of stupid Mac HFS (which would keep Mac-legal filenames and formatting conventions).

More on a related topic (and I found it through google!)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The problem with stripping only the data fork is that you lose the metadata. This means that your files need to have PC-appropriate extensions, so that Windows can figure out what program to open them with. Otherwise, you're going to have to rename them anyway.

If the files already have appropriate names, you just need to make sure that you burn them in ISO/Joliet format, and not HFS or ISO/Rockridge.

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance

Data fork, resource fork. Yes, you need a Macintosh-based program that knows how to convert all the various file formats into "renamed" files with the proper filename extensions by reading the file resource and applying the proper filename extension.

The resource fork does not need to be stripped during this conversion -- nor would you want it to be stripped on the Mac side. PC MacLAN will take care of the resource fork for you during the file transfer to the "non-Mac" node. Only a Mac needs the resource fork. All "non-Macs" do not need or want the pesky resource fork, with one exception, and that would be a file server or dial-up host that can specifically serve Macintosh files. Services For Macintosh, Pacer, TOPS, and some others can handle Macintosh files within their "alien" systems. MacXMODEM can handle dial-up Macintosh files properly.

And, as Mercutio sez, you can setup a "local" TCP/IP printer in Win2K/XP over your Ethernet. That way, your PeeCee and your Mac can share the HP Laserjet.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The ISO file system isn't designed to accept two data streams for a file. In order to keep both the resource and data fork for a file, you'll either have to use an HFS format disk or end up with goofy, useless names and hidden files and holders on your CD. Either way, you have to have the program on the PC to make the conversion to something useful.

NTFS, on the other hand, could accept the two data streams, although it wouldn't know what to do with them.