Moment of silence

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd like a moment of silence for what may very well be the only 75GXP ever to die a "normal" death.

He served me faithfully in a RAID0 for more than two years, and expired this evening, after a short but valiant battle between GMR head and disk surface. His undead rattle is tintinnabular, and I know that, though the motor is willing and his platters strong, he will never deliver data again.

As I consign him to a box marked "Attn: RMA#:", I reflect on the transient nature of both life and of data. I give a moment's pause in thanks for the tremendous 75 gigabyte bounty he kept, and also for his twin, his orphan, who is now alone in a RAID array meant for two.

My only solace on this, its final day, is the on-line double-redundant backup I kept of the data this 75GXP stored, in foresight of this moment.

From iron-oxide we are born, and to iron-oxide we shall return. Godspeed, my friend, and may Federal Express carry you gently to your reward.

Amen.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I still have five in continious operation and not one has even once hiccuped. I expect that all will have a long and useful life untill old-age retirement strikes. I even begin to doubt the rumors of many a premature death for the series. I must be a statistical abberation.

Stereodude

Not really a
P5-133XL said:
I still have five in continious operation and not one has even once hiccuped. I expect that all will have a long and useful life untill old-age retirement strikes. I even begin to doubt the rumors of many a premature death for the series. I must be a statistical abberation.
Don't bet on it. I had one that gave out after 18 months of light use. They all will fail eventually. Make sure your data is backed up.

Stereodude

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have 2 in continuous operation for over 2 years... im running them in RAID 0

>8- )

I'm sure they'll die, but when they do a 15gig 3+ year old drive won't be worth a whole lot and it will be time to upgrade my main box anyway.