Monarch has teh X2s

Handruin

Administrator
Man...even the 5000+ is tempting my wallet at $289 (given the info Will provided on previous prices). What's a good motherboard these days for AM2 sockets? :D

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's really just nVidia right now, and you know I don't like saying that. But Via's not to be found in AM2-land and the companies I trust for boards don't trust ATI enough to offer their chipsets.

Anyway, I feel Will's pain. I have a $600 X2/4600 and a $500 X2/4400.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
That the hateful/hurtful thing about IT, how quickly and how savagely prices come down. But I bought an X2 soon after the launch and the price did not move much until now, so I'm happy. If I'd bought an X2 in say the April~now time frame, I'd be hurtin'.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
It's big advantage is 6 SATA ports & dual, onboard GbE. For most people neither are that important I don't think.

Personally, I think it's very handy. I need two GbE controllers per fileserver because of the way I segment my home network. And 6 SATA ports allows me to build better, inexpensive fileservers. Of course, I won't be needing any of this for some time, which doesn't mean I don't think about how much more convenient these would have been back in the day.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think the big deal with the 590 chipset is Official nVidia support for overclocking when you use certain officially certified memory modules.

'Cause nVidia knows all about making things overheat. Glad they're finally doing something with that.

I'm giving some serious thought to replacing some socket 754-based machines with x2/3800s + nVidia 6100-based motherboards, but I want socket 939 chips, since I'm not too keen on replacing all my RAM.