More on the next Plextor SCSI CD-RW

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
are there alot of people that want this?
(I'm sure there must be some demand for it otherwise plextor wouldnt have made it)

I would have thought most people would have already gotten IDE writers since SCSI ones have been few and far between. With UDMA drives I don't really see the benefits of a SCSI CD drive.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I waited and waited and waited for a SCSI burner that was comparable in write performance to what was available in the IDE units. I finally gave up and put a LiteOn 32x in my wife's PC and a 48x in my system. IDE, yes, but they work fine.

Plextor is entering the market too late for me to care. Their reluctance to release faster SCSI drives, along with Yamaha etc. forced me to switch to IDE units. The reality for me is that they have killed off the market for SCSI burners.

And why release a 40/12/40 when 52/24/52 is already out? People who can afford SCSI usually want the best.

- Fushigi

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
Fushigi said:
I waited and waited and waited for a SCSI burner that was comparable in write performance to what was available in the IDE units. I finally gave up and put a LiteOn 32x in my wife's PC and a 48x in my system. IDE, yes, but they work fine.

The Yamaha 48X (24X R/W) has been available as a SCSI internal and external drive for a couple of months now. We have had several of the SCSI units here at work since the week they came out.

And why release a 40/12/40 when 52/24/52 is already out? People who can afford SCSI usually want the best.

The Yamaha is 48x / 24x / 48x. I would not particularly trust a 52X CD-R (or the upcoming 56X models) to be particularly reliable mechanisms. Also, it seems the end of the line for CD-R speed is about 56X.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
iGary said:
The Yamaha 48X (24X R/W) has been available as a SCSI internal and external drive for a couple of months now. We have had several of the SCSI units here at work since the week they came out.

The Yamaha is 48x / 24x / 48x.

Sorry Gary, they are 44/24/44. The internal SCSI version is CRW-F1ZS. I have one.

Dïscfärm

Groltz said:
iGary said:

Sorry Gary, they are 44/24/44. The internal SCSI version is CRW-F1ZS. I have one.

Yes, it's definitely a 44x / 24x / 44x.

iGary's must be on cough syrup, because he actually owns the ATAPI version -- which he uses at home!

iGary

Dïscfärm said:
Groltz said:
iGary said:

Yes, it's definitely a 44x / 24x / 44x.

iGary's must be on cough syrup, because he actually owns the ATAPI version -- which he uses at home!

> iGary's

iGary's ??? iGary's what? Maybe you're the one on cough syrup, Dïscfärm!

EdwardK

Has anyone tried the DiscT@2 Laser Labelling System with the Yamaha? What do you think of it? The DiscT@2, that is. Fancy gimmick or useful feature?

Cheers

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
True enough on the Yamaha but I got my 32x way before then & the 48x unit around the same time the Yamaha was released; I remember reading reviews. My old burner was SCSI .. a Yamaha 4x4x16. Frankly, for the duty it saw it became problematic before it should have. And LiteOn's reputation seems to be pretty solid. Getting the 48x for about $60 was the icing on the cake and it's even cheaper now; the current cheapest price for the Yammy is $195.

Now, I probably would have spring for the Yamaha anyway if it had shipped with an LVD 68 pin interface. But Yamaha chose 50 pin instead. IIRC that was the nail in the coffin. Come on, modernize!

- Fushigi

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Edward,

I have used it several times. Have even obtained some older Verbatim 16X CDR's just for that purpose.

DiskT@2 is a cool novelty, but I likely would have bought the drive anyway. Its actual disk burning features are what make it so good.

--Steve

GIANT

EdwardK said:
Has anyone tried the DiscT@2 Laser Labelling System with the Yamaha? What do you think of it? The DiscT@2, that is. Fancy gimmick or useful feature?

I wouldn't call it a gimmick because it does work -- more or less, sort of. However, I don't believe that the masses have an immediate need for this capability.

Instead, I would buy the CRW-F1 only because it is a nice professional grade CD recorder, as I did for its CD audio recording (mastering) capabilities.

GIANT

Fushigi said:
True enough on the Yamaha but I got my 32x way before then & the 48x unit around the same time the Yamaha was released; I remember reading reviews.

I bought a 32X LiteOn also -- probably the same recorder you have if you also bought the "Best Buy special." I use mostly as a CD reader in my "Internet Computer." I already know that it is not as accurate at performing DAE as my "old" Yamaha CRW-4416S, which I now have connected to an Akai sampler. I had both the Yamaha 4416 SCSI and the LiteOn 32X ATAPI connect to my "Internet Computer" using Adaptec EZ CD Creator 4.0.5.

My old burner was SCSI .. a Yamaha 4x4x16. Frankly, for the duty it saw it became problematic before it should have. And LiteOn's reputation seems to be pretty solid. Getting the 48x for about $60 was the icing on the cake and it's even cheaper now; the current cheapest price for the Yammy is $195.

A couple of things here:

1.) At work, we have several CRW-4260 and CRW-4416 -- all SCSI units installed into external metal CI Design SCSI cases. From the production logs, EACH of these recorders have had anywhere from around 15000 to around 24000 disc recorded over the past 4 years. They are all *still* writing data CD-R discs everyday -- some in a duplicator, some others connected to office computers. The group was partly replaced with some 16X and 20X Yamaha recorders over a year ago, then completely replaced recently with some more CRW-F1S recorders a couple of months ago. The only problem that I've noticed about these old Yamaha units is that some of them don't open and close the tray as fast as they used to.

2.) Speed is not everything! I do not particularly trust the recent crop of inexpensive >40x CD recorders. I have some reservations about just how accurately these units write and just how "archival" their recordings are. In these regards, I also have some lesser reservations about current high-speed CD-R media.

Now, I probably would have spring for the Yamaha anyway if it had shipped with an LVD 68 pin interface. But Yamaha chose 50 pin instead. IIRC that was the nail in the coffin. Come on, modernize!

Well, a while back I thought that Yamaha did go to D-68, but come to find out a bit later that they had only upgraded the SCSI communications from "Fast" (10 MB/s) to "Ultra" (20 MB/s).

Better than going to wide SCSI (D-68) would be if LVD was introduced. The LVD Ultra2 specifications defined a "narrow" 8-bit channel and D-connector, but to my knowledge, no manufacturer has ever produced a SCSI device with a narrow LVD interface. Use of an LVD interface on a SCSI CD-R/W drive would allow for much longer cabling. All is not lost, though. On the horizon is SA-SCSI (Serial Attached SCSI), which will allow long bus lengths.

GMac

Whoever it was that said that speed isn't everything is quite right :D I'm still using my faithful 1210S unit and it hasn't let me down yet. An extra couple of minutes to burn a CD doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as it's reliable, and mine is certainly that.

GM

iGary

Fushigi said:
...My old burner was SCSI a Yamaha 4x4x16. Frankly, for the duty it saw it became problematic before it should have...

Ahhhh! There was a factory recall on the earliest batch of Yamaha 4416 CD-R/W drives because of a defective write laser. But, then again, this particular defective write laser also affected certain HP models and 4 or 5 other brands/models of CD-R/W as well.

The symptom was that the affected CD-R/W drives would write fine for about a year and then suddenly not write at all. The laser apparently could not handle heat very well.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
iGary said:
Ahhhh! There was a factory recall on the earliest batch of Yamaha 4416 CD-R/W drives because of a defective write laser. But, then again, this particular defective write laser also affected certain HP models and 4 or 5 other brands/models of CD-R/W as well.

The symptom was that the affected CD-R/W drives would write fine for about a year and then suddenly not write at all. The laser apparently could not handle heat very well.
My burner would create more coasters than it should, but the problems went beyond that. Sometimes it would fail to open. Sometimes, after the PC had been on for a few days, it would simply disappear from My Computer. Only a cold boot would bring it back.

My usage habits are pretty light duty when it comes to both regular CDs & to burning. On average I use the CD drive less than once a week for reading or writing.

Could it be heat related? Possibly. My T-bird at the time was running SETI 24x7 and I did (& still do) have an original X15 & a 10K II drive in the chassis. But I also had Antec drive bay fans for both HDDs and 2 extra case fans for lots of front-to-back cooling so heat should not have been a factor. The HDDs are mounted at the top of the case; the CD in the middle. It's a ful ltower so there's 3 empty 1/2 height bays between them.

Oh well, it's replacement LiteOn 48/12/48 has been running flawlessly so far. Good bye Yamaha & SCSI optical.

- Fushigi

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i'm yet to hear or read of a bad story about LiteOn cdrom, dvdrom and cdrw's the last 12 months despite the fact that they are the hottest selling optical drive over the lst 12 months (in Austalia).

i've had JVC, Phillips, Yamaha, Panasonic, Plextor & LG and I must say, my 40x12x48 LiteOn has impressed me the most. even when (trying) objectively excluding it's speed.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I bought a whole bunch of 32, 40, and 48x CD-RWs for the labs I maintain. Out of three months and 48 drives, I've thusfar had six fail in lightest use imaginable (most of the drives have been used, oh, three or four times). Plus I have a couple that have the jet engine sound I normally associate with really crummy optical drives when they're reading discs.

Of those six, three were essentially DOA and three failed some time after installation.

So there. That's something bad about Lite-On drives.
They were still better than the 24x AOpen CD-RW drives I started with (five failures in two weeks, out of 12 drives).

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Lite-On readers used to be middling -to-crap back in 20X days, same standard as Acer, which is to say middling-to-crap. To this day I don't really trust them even though their monitors have always been excellent and their burners have a great reputation. So far, just the one box of 10 48X burners, very nice. But I'm not going to trust their readers while I have the superb Mitsubishi 52X model available. We have sold several hundred of them and I can't remember a single return. Maybe there was one or two, but I can't remember any.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think some lite-on drives are winners while others are dogs... I have seen lite-on drives that were loud, had flimsy trays, and tray motors that were not smooth. All of these things tell me that lite-on cuts the corners when possible.

However, I have seen them produce nice drives that are fairly quiet and seem to be made of good quality components. Go figure?

From my personal experience, LG drives are reliable and are made well. They have that quiet and smooth action that I find quite pleasent in an optical drive.