More serious Windows security woes

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Linux is also vunerable

"Although rootkits are not unique to Windows,"

I would think any operating system is vunerable to this kind of crap. If the majority of servers are running Linux/Unix, and you want corperate information, a rootkit worm would fix you right up.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Not any OS. i5/OS (formerly OS/400) would be immune as all OS objects are digitally signed and the signatures are evaluated when the objects are loaded/executed (as well as when installed/restored).

Also, program objects, the equivalent of EXEs and DLLs, can't be modified by normal commands or publicly available APIs. Copied & deleted, yes, but changing the contents, no. Program objects can only be manually patched via system service tools, which is a service function that cannot be scripted and has it's own additional layer of authentication that uses a separate ID from the normal system signon. And you need special system authority just to run the command to start service tools.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Bozo,

I was waiting for someone to make the comment you made :lol: I think it's clear that Windows is way more vulnerable than Linux is. Hopefully, Linux won't degenerate.

The AS/400 is one heck of a platform. I have never understood why the geniuses at IBM keep it hidden in a closet.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
mubs, the answer is that it doesn't take as much in the way of services to get it going & keep it going. And we all know IBM is predominantly a services company now.

Seriously, their quick-start ERP deployments take 3-6 months vs. 9-18 months on Unix or Windows. There are 'solution edition' packages that are already tuned for certain workloads like SAP or Domino. The hardware is bulletproof. And forklift-proof (go here and watch Vandals).

Actually, IBM has, after years of being hounded by AS/400 customers, run a few TV commercials. They aren't really the best, but it's a start (after 17 years...). Go here and select Café Society TV spot.