Mounting or Restoring Binary Image

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
A friend of mine had an apparent harddrive disaster last week, and asked me for help. He was doing some Partition Magic work on a different drive, and the one in question suddenly came up as unpartitioned. I lent him my copy of R-Studio with strict instructions to make an image of the drive before doing anything.

So, he did that. And proceded to jack up the drive, instead of recovering from the image. After checking the drive, everything seems to be fine with the hardware, which makes me believe that something happened to his partition table or boot record.

I'd like to either mount or, preferably, restore the image that he made, and try to use some partition recovery software on it, and see if that is the case. R-Studio, conveniently, makes images, but does not do either of these things with them.

So, I need some guidance on how I can procede, and try to get his data back.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
For the record, I was able to boot to a Knoppix CD and use dd to restore the image. It took almost a whole day to restore the image, but afterwards, we were able to reconstruct the partition table, and it looks like all of the data may be there.